Chapter 15: To Cheat, A Win, A Cheating Winner

Hopping from tree to tree, he swaggered along as he swung, caught, and landed on branches.

    He continued on until a two story house with a pool came into view in the distance.

    That must be the place...

    He was a bit discouraged when he saw that there weren't that many trees around the house. Well there were, he just didn't want to ruin the fruit in them.

    To him, trees were a source of transportation and stealth. Now that it was taken away from him in this area, he had to find a way to improvise.

    He ran quickly and quietly up to the front of the house. His back planted against a wall, a pleasing aroma crept up his nostrils.

    Lithia was in the kitchen cooking breakfast for her and Willow.

    Zack's stomach rumbled, for he hasn't eaten anything since his encounter with Eren.

    Lithia put her cooking to an abrupt halt. She smelled something. Something that overpowered her cooking entirely. She smelled iron.

    I smell B+...

    She stepped away from the stove and floated towards the screen door.

    Zack felt a presence that grew closer by the second. Sweat was rolling down his face, his heart was racing, he had to think fast. He looked to his left to see a gutter pipe.

    Lithia opened the screen door. Scanning the backyard, all she saw was the pool and fruit trees that were usually there. She took another big whiff of the air, smelling chlorine and citrus. 

    "Huh...I thought I smelled blood..." she mumbled.

    She then closed the door and went back to cooking.

    Zack let out a sigh of relief as he sat on the roof of the house and wiped the sweat from his face. He stood up and tiptoed carefully across it. Eventually he found the window to hers and Willow's bedroom.

    Seeing pressure on a pillow as he peeked through the window, he flipped himself over and landed quietly on the ledge of it.

    He opened the window slightly, just enough for him to hop in and hop out. 

    Hopping in he noticed that the door was cracked open, meaning that he only has enough time to place the letter for Willow's viewing and get out.

    Looking to his left he saw that Willow was still asleep.

    Excellent...

    He tiptoed towards the dresser to his right and placed down a folded up white piece of paper with a pale pink heart sticker loosely keeping it folded up.

    His stomach rumbled again for he smelled Lithia's cooking.

    "Oh hush you, you'll get something on my way back home." he mumbled to it.

-

    Downstairs setting up plates, she smelled it again, and it was getting on her nerves. This time it was coming from upstairs. She headed that way to investigate.

    Willow turned in her bed, letting out a sleepy groan as she did so.

    Zack's eyes widened. He turned towards the window, his heart racing as he also heard footsteps.

    He slipped as quietly as he could through the window, landed in a bush and ran towards a nearby forest and climbed up a tree.

-