Grillby's (Part 2): Uncertainties

Sans' Perspective

"Woah! Guys, did you see that?! Grillbz actually made a move for once! Wow... this is better than a soap opera!"

Oh, I saw alright—and I'm not a very happy skeleton.

Now, Grillbz's a great guy. If I were to ever call someone my best friend, he would be my first and only choice. As such, I know him real well—even more than he realizes, after so many resets—and I know he's not the kind of guy to do something so forward. So if he's doing something like this... if he's turning into a blushing mess over after a girl he's just met... he's gotta be serious. And that's really bad news.

I look over at (Y/N), and just the sight of her is enough to make my soul go nuts. It pounds against my ribcage like a sledgehammer, as if it's trying to force its way out. (Y/N) is matching Grillby's blush shade for shade, and she's got an adorably flustered expression on her face. However, seeing as that expression is aimed at Grillby, and not at me...

I tap the bar top with a skeletal finger, hoping the action will give me an outlet for my growing irritation. It's not working very well.

This week-and-some that I've spent with (Y/N) has been the best that I've seen in a long, long time. Every time I'm with her, the burden of my bad memoires lift just a little bit from my shoulders, and the void in my soul gets just a little bit smaller.

When I came home to find (Y/N) limp on my couch, her body cold and her soul shattering... it had felt as if the world itself were ending. As though it were my soul—not hers—that was breaking. Right then, at that moment, I had actually wished for a reset to happen; something I haven't done since the first time Chara stole Papyrus from me. I don't know when I started caring about her so much, but now that I do...

I can't lose her. Not to death, and not to Grillby.

My teeth start to hurt as my permanent smile manages to stretch a few inches, and I'm pretty sure my eyesockets have long since gone dark. I've gotta do something, before this goes any further.

"Hey, Grillbz," I say, forcing a cheerful tone into my voice. "Buddy. Pal."

Grillby manages to rip his eyes away from (Y/N) to look at me, a questioning look to his constantly shifting face. He blinks in surprise when he sees my expression, and takes a half-step backwards. I place a protective hand on (Y/N)'s shoulder, making my position as clear as possible without arousing her suspicion. Luckily for me, Grillbz is a master of silent communication, and my unspoken message easily gets across.

Back off.

Grillby seems a little bit crestfallen, but he does a good job of hiding it. He's slowly returning to his normal coloration, and he's quick to recover his composure.

"Oh... it seems I may have made a mistake, (Y/N)," Grillby says smoothly, adjusting his glasses to hide his embarrassment. "I had read somewhere that human social guidelines called for that sort of conduct, but that does not seem to be the case. Forgive me."

Y'know... I wish I could lie that well.

If those pink flames of his were anything to go by, he knew exactly what he was doing. Nevertheless, I'm grateful that he gave in so easily. I'll have to find a way to make it up to him—maybe I can finally get around to paying my tab.

"O-oh, uh... that's okay," (Y/N) stammers.

She rubs one of her arms self-consciously, and seems to be trying hard to brush the encounter off. Or, maybe I read her wrong—her blush is still going strong despite Grillby's withdrawal, and it doesn't seem to be showing any signs of fading.