Creation of a Nightmare (Part 1: Memories Best Left Forgotten)

Author's Note IMPORTANT!!!!!!

What?! Zana is putting an Author's Note at the beginning of a chapter? What is this?!

Don't worry, I have a very good reason. This chapter is literally the darkest thing that I have ever written. EVER. This is the closest I've ever gotten to adult content, and probably the closest that I ever will. (Well... I have considered doing a Sans' soul sex one-shot sometime... but that's beside the point.)

So, this is your warning.

If you're under 14, or are especially sensitive, I highly suggest that only read part way into the chapter (I'll tell you when to stop).

However, if you're younger than 14, I'm not going to stop you from reading it. I mean, you all know what you can and can't handle, and I'm not about to start mothering you. I'll leave a comprehensive list of trigger warnings below, so read through those before you decide whether or not to read past the suggested stopping point.

If you do decide to skip it, there will be a synopsis of the chapter in the end Author's Note, telling you what you need to know without all of the gruesome details.

Trigger warnings: Neglect, Imprisonment, Abandonment, Rape (non-explicit but very suggestive), Yandere, Abuse, Cutting/Self-harm, Slave Trade, Discrimination, Suicidal thoughts, and attempted Suicide.

Your Perspective

The next thing you know... you find yourself standing in the middle of an empty expanse of nothingness, blackness extending for as far as the eye can see. Panic instantly consumes you, and you collapse to the invisible ground as the memory of your last visit here suddenly come rushing back to you.

You'd thought that you had managed to forget it—you haven't thought about your last encounter with Chara for weeks—but the feel of her knife in your stomach, across your throat... now that you're here again, you can almost feel your old wounds burning.

NO! No, no... nononono! Not here! Anywhere, anywhere but here!

You're back in the void, and you know that there is no escape. Until you wake up... you're at Chara's mercy. You briefly consider running, but you know that would ultimately be pointless. Chara is the master of this place—any resistance that you could offer up would do nothing but entertain her.

No. It's better to retain your dignity, and wait for her to arrive. You know that she's coming—her child-like laugh is already echoing through the void, and you can already feel that bloodlust of hers focusing on you. You take a deep, shaky breath, and get to your feet. No matter what she does to you, you're going to take it standing up. You won't give her the satisfaction of acting as terrified as you feel.

You don't have long to wait. A young child pops into existence in front of you, her ghost-like form slowly weaving back in forth in the air (or lack thereof). The first thing you register are her ruby-red eyes. Following soon after is the sight of her crazed, toothy smile.

"Charlotte."

Your greeting to her is nothing but a single word, as you're still trying to keep your voice from trembling. Her smile loses some of its width when she sees how (outwardly) calm you are, and she instead transitions into a glower.

"It's Chara," she corrects, gritting her teeth. "My name is Chara."

Somehow, you'd unknowingly struck a nerve by calling her Charlotte. That hadn't been intentional—it's just the name that you know her by. You still aren't sure how Charlotte and the girl standing in front of you are connected... but there's something about her that undoubtedly reminds you of the Charlotte that you once knew.