Do You Love Me Or Hate Me? (Make Up Your Mind!)

When I finally snapped out of my reverie, Grace had gone and I was standing in an empty hallway all alone. That was when the tears came. I slid down the lockers and cried my heart out. I knew that facing Jessica was a bad idea but Grace gave me hope and of course I had to take it. I started getting angry at myself which made me cry harder.

About ten minutes later the bell rang for home time and my tears had finally stopped pouring. Getting myself of off the floor, I gathered my books and ran outside towards my car. My goal right now? Getting as far away as I could from the school. Ahh, who am I kidding? I was getting as far away as I could from Jessica. I got to my car and practically yanked the door of its hinges. I threw myself into the driver’s seat and just sat there for a while, staring into nothing and thinking of nothing. I don’t know how long I was sitting there but a sharp rap on the window brought me back to reality. I looked out the window to see a very stressed and ruffled Jessica. Her eyes were bloodshot and she looked exhausted. She looked like she’d been crying. I rolled the window down and we just sort of stared at each other.

“I-“

“I’m-”

We both said at the same time. We laughed awkwardly. I hated this. What did she want?

“You can go first,” I said offering. She walked around the other side of the car and got in next to me. I was weary; this couldn’t be good. All of a sudden she started crying! And not quietly either. No, they were giant loud sobs and every now and then she’d hiccough. I was so dumbfounded; I had no idea what to do. I awkwardly patted her back until she stopped enough to have some sort of conversation.

“I’m so sorry!” she yelled rather loudly before bursting into tears. “I” hiccough, “don’t know why I did what I did” another hiccough, “I regret it so much and I miss you! I need you!” she said and proceeded to try and get out of the car.

“Hold on!” I yelled shutting the door closed and locking it before she could get out. She sat there looking completely and utterly defeated.

“How can you expect to apologise to me after what you’ve done!” I shouted angrily. She had been hanging her head in silence until then. She lifted her head and her fiery eyes were glistening with fresh tears.

“I know what I’ve done! I regret it! Sam had been using me this whole time and I can’t believe I did this to my best friend in the whole world. I-Love-You,” she said breathlessly. I was stunned but still angry. Did she seriously expect me to take her back? But looking into her eyes I knew she was telling the truth and I melted. My heart ached and I started crying with her. Before I knew it we were in each other’s arms, holding on for dear life. How did I let this girl go?

“I forgive you,” I said softly in her ear. I felt her smile against my shoulder. She pulled back and looked into my eyes making me feel exposed. She looked like she was searching for something and she smiled in satisfaction.

“Thank you Summer. I love you. You’re the best friend anyone could ever have,” I grinned at her suddenly feeling complete and whole.

“I love you to,”