Chapter 13

Will had always been skilled in swordsmanship especially for someone who was self-trained. 

Charlotte wondered if James Norrington would ever have him join the Navy if he had ever had the chance to witness it. 

The way he moved, the way he blocked, the way he'd step. 

It was more like dancing, rather than fighting. That was what sword fighting consisted, afterall. Not only strength and durability but grace and agility. He made it seem effortless. 

And Charlotte noticed she had been improving. Sometimes, when Elizabeth or her father wasn't looking, she'd practice with an invisible sword or her fan, or even a stick she'd find. Then, before bed, or while in her bath, she'd practice her arm exercises. 

She was thankful no one had noticed the sudden growth of her muscle, and she was thankful to have such a lanky figure in general. 

"You're doing quite well, I'm surprised." Will said with a pant.

Charlotte smiled, "I've been practicing." 

"Practicing?" Will repeated with surprise then quickly, gently, deflected Charlotte's hit, "with what?" 

"Anything I could find, really," she replied then pouted, "when will I learn to take a more forceful block than that?" 

Will smiled, "until you're able to withstand it. You wouldn't want to hurt yourself." 

Charlotte sighed then pushed his sword back in return before taking a step back, lowering it so that its tip met the soil. 

Will struck his sword into the soil then strode towards the water well to pump out a splash into his hand. He then threw it over himself and took a drink after. 

Charlotte joined him, cupping her hands beneath the faucet and as the icy water splashed into her hands she immediately took a heart sip from it. 

They sat together on the stool chairs just beside the rack of swords that hung off the wheel. Charlotte admired his work, as she often did. 

"The Commodore was very pleased with your gift, by the way."

"Did he?" Will smiled, "I'm glad to hear it." 

"You're an incredible smither, Will. Port Royal is lucky to have someone as skilled as you." 

Will laughed, "well thank you. Where is this coming from, all of a sudden?" 

Charlotte shrugged, "it's almost been something I believed in. I just wanted you to hear it." 

They shared a comfortable moment of silence and peace, smiling. Charlotte always loved spending time with him and each time she came by she'd wish the night would never end.

"You know, when you mentioned the live opponent it reminded me of something that happened today." 

"Oh?" 

Will nodded, "that pirate that escaped today? He showed up here." 

Charlotte's eyes shot wide, "what?

"He showed up here in my shop and...we fought." 

She sat up, "you're joking." 

Will shook his head, smiling then grimaced, "er...but he was stopped, eventually. And the Navy came in time." 

"I'm sure he was by you!" Charlotte exclaimed, giddy with excitement and admiration, "so what happened? How did it happen? Was he any good?" 

"He was very good...albeit with some cheating." 

"Cheating?" Charlotte wasn't entirely surprised. Pirates were rogue and rebellious, it was to be expected of them to cheat. "How?" 

Will winced, "er...he caught me off guard. Twice." 

"Well, I'm glad to know you weren't hurt after that! I honestly wouldn't have guessed you've had a scruffle with a pirate. What a tale to tell!" 

Will smiled and shrugged, "he won't be causing any more trouble." 

"Well, shall we go for another round?" Charlotte asked, standing up from her chair. Will looked up with surprised eyes. 

"Are you certain?" 

"When am I not?" 

Will smiled, "alright, your call." 

The smithy was once more filled with the sounds of their swords clanging and Will's instructions and comments. They were quicker in pace this time, hopping from one foot to the other, backing up and dodging. 

"Your footing has improved quite a bit, Miss Swann," Will observed and Charlotte grinned. 

"Though my arms need a little more work," she replied as Will once more was able to deflect her hit. 

Charlotte then had an idea and quickly made it look as though she were about to back away and Will, as she predicted, followed after her. She took a step forward then, surprising him and just as he was about to step out of her way she hooked her boot behind his ankle and she watched as he lost balance and fell back, losing his sword. 

Charlotte grinned, holding the tip of hers at him. He looked up at her, blinking.

"Surrender?" she asked smugly. 

Will's chest heaved simultaneously to hers and she saw how dirty he had gotten after falling into the soil. 

"I'm impressed," Will replied with an approving nod, "to say the least." 

Charlotte grinned and pulled her sword away to help him up. She then picked up his sword and offered both hers and his back to him, "I believe that should be all for tonight."

Will nodded with a smile, both swords, "I think so, too." 

As Charlotte brushed away all the soil off her trousers and splashed her face with the water she snapped her cloak back on and threw the hood over. Will opened the door for her and a strong gust of wind blew in. Charlotte held her hood back. Will, with a hand propped against the door, preventing it from shutting, gazed upward into the sky with a soft frown. 

"Be safe during your ride back, Miss Swann," he murmured. Above the island were thick black clouds eagerly taking the last glimpses of the stars. "It seems a storm's among us."

Charlotte nodded then made a final wave of farewell before turning around to head back to her mare.