Chapter 31

They entered the tavern that was The Faithful Bride. Jack stopped and turned around to face her and Will.

"Keep a sharp eye," he warned, glancing around, as though careful not to be overheard.

Charlotte and Will exchanged looks then nodded at the Pirate and followed him and his accomplice.

Once they chose a table, near the back, away from the rest of the environment, Charlotte and Will remained several tables away. They looked around in search for any suspicious strangers who might overhear whatever important matters the two pirates behind them were discussing.

"For what reason do we have to keep watch? All of these people are drunken imbeciles," she gasped and jumped out of the way of two brawling men who suddenly crashed into a table, causing it to flip over. Will closed in on her to protect her. She looked up at Will and her breath caught at the close proximity, "thank you," she breathed.

"Don't mention it," Will replied. When he realized how close he was to her, he jumped back. "Why don't we cover different angles?" he suggested, turning back to her, "I can take the entry."

"I'll take the back," she said and headed there. She found a table in the corner, next to a half wall, behind where the captain and Gibbs was sitting at.

"I know what Barbossa is up to," she heard Jack's voice in earshot, "all I need is a crew."

There was a pause before Gibb's spoke again, "from what I hear tell of Captain Barbossa, he's not a man to suffer fools, nor strike a bargain with one."

Bargain? Charlotte leaned in closer.

"Prove me wrong," she heard Gibbs challenge, with an emphasis of a dull clunk of his jug, "what makes ye think Barbossa will give up his ship to you?"

"Let's just say it's a matter of leverage," Jack replied in a low voice.

"Huh?"

Jack grunted, and the sound of the beads and trinkets from his hair made Charlotte look up to peer over the hall wall. She leaned over her table to watch Gibbs look over his shoulder and when Charlotte followed his gaze she saw Will standing nearby. Gibbs turned back and Charlotte immediately bowed her head.

"the kid?" Gibbs questioned.

Jack nodded in confirmation, "that is the child of Bootstrap Bill Turner," his voice lowered, "his only child, savvy?"

A bargain? Charlotte frowned at the pirates.

"I knew it." She whispered.

A muffled grunt, followed by a whimper came from behind. Charlotte turned to see a door slightly ajar. A pair of shadows flickered momentarily then disappeared.

Charlotte frowned and curiosity got the best of her.