The Gamer

I came into class late the next day, and I had forgotten what day it was in general.

I came into the classroom quickly and set my bag down, throwing on my shoes. When I looked up, I saw that the entire class was gathered in a semi circle surrounding the center of the floor, and for some reason, the Head of Competition Activities was there.

I snuck up behind Alya and peeped over her shoulder. Adrien and Max were doing fouetté turns on center floor with determined looks on their faces.

I tapped Alya's shoulder, "Alya what's happening-"

She shushed me and waved me away, concentrating on recording the event.

Rose came up to me bouncing with excitement, "Don't you remember Marinette? Today's the contest to see who will go to the Paris-Spin-Off competition!"

"More like the contest to see who will be Max's partner." Kim said as he came up behind me, "Max has been practicing fouetté turns all year for this competition."

The crowd was chanting the number of fouetté turns the two were doing.

At 19 turns, Max took a tumble and fell out of his, landing on his feet, dizzy. But Adrien kept going until 21, doing a double pirouette and landing in fourth position gracefully. He smiled and pumped his fist in the air with success when he realized he had won.

"So... whoever can beat Max's score of 19... will get to be Adrien's partner?" I asked.

Alya turned off her phone and turned around with a sigh. She grabbed me by the shoulder and pulled me away from the group. "Marinette, you can't embarrass yourself like this. Remember what happened last time we had fouetté turns in a combo?"

I did remember. That was way back when Master Fu was here. "I've been practicing since then Alya, I really have! I've gotten better!"

Alya sighed and shook her head, "Even if you have gotten better, this is a serious competition! Not an excuse to flirt!"

"I know I know, but I'm trying!"

The Head of Competition Activities had his hands on Max and Adrien's shoulders, "It seems we've found our contestants!" He said in a big booming voice.

"Wait!" I said, holding my hand up, "May I compete for a spot?"

The HCA looked confused for a moment, then shrugged, "I don't see why not."

I wiggled my way through the crowd and to the center of the floor.

Max walked up and stood next to me. He held out his hand, "May the best spinner win." He said.

I shook his hand and we both took our ready positions.

The music begun and we both started to turn. I remembered to spot myself in the mirror every time I span, just as my old teachers used to tell me. The movement just came to me, like magic.

The crowd chanted as we turned, "17, 18, 19, 20..."

Max fell out at 20 and landed on the ground, his head spinning dizzyly.

I continued to spin, trying not to let it faze me. I finally got to 25 before I felt myself falling, and I did a single out of my last turn and landed in fourth position.

I jumped in the air and yelped in delight.

The HCA came over and put a hand on my shoulder. "It seems we have our new contestants, Marinette Dupain-Cheng and Adrien Agreste!"

Adrien smiled at me, "You're really good Marinette!" He said, "Maybe we could come back to the studio after class and practice for the competition?"