CHAPTER 13

*New and Improved Version*

I watched as the last drop from the leaves fell into a small puddle below. It had rained last night and the breeze was cold, too cold that we had to move into a cave to take shelter. I did not go back to sleep for the cold was killing me. Anyway, dawn was about to break so going back to sleep was not worth it. During the time when the others were sleeping, I filled my journal with writings. By the time John stirred, I had wrote on a few pages and was about to shut the journal when the pages flipped due to the morning breeze, and stopped at a taped photo.

A photograph of the Hemington family. My family. The picture was brimful of colors. I remembered that the picture was taken at our magnificent yard. Flowers of different kinds bloomed everywhere on our lawn. Everyone had bright faces. Mom stood out the most. She sat in the middle, and had on her elegant brown blouse tucked in a dark brown sunray pleated skirt. Carolynn was in the picture, standing beside mom. The only girl with golden hair wore a shade of green shift dress and a latch-on bracelet that dad gave her on her thirteenth birthday.

William and I were there. In the picture, his smile shone the most, probably from the help of his braces. The only one missing was dad for he had died four years after this picture was taken. So, we hoped that he did appear in the picture. In spirit. A tear went down my cheek and I heard a click suddenly.

William's pen dropped on the floor of the cave, after being slipped from my fingers. I perceived, wiped the tear and looked for the pen. It was gone. Before I got up to search, it hovers three inches from my eyes. My head turned and eyes gazed into the owner of the pen's eyes. He took the photograph and I pulled the pen from his like we were exchanging birthday gifts.

"I miss mom and Carol," He sighed.

"This photo, it's taken occasionally on you passing your test."

I heaved, feeling the same pride as I felt before on that special day. "I got to be Phylix's agent. Where dad used to work."

"You had your hopes on high for the qualification, and you got it."

"I passed the test because of dad. I wanted to work with him. Until he passed away, I thought I was losing spirit," I said.

"Things will get better soon," William smiled. I smiled at him back and we waited until the sun was up in the sky.

...........................................

We packed our stuff after Levi announced that we must search for Kate. To me, it sounded like getting out of the comfort zone and be ready to get killed. Tatum elbowed me and looked at John who was as white as a sheet of paper. We snickered as I gathered my entire implement and walked to the gate alone.

The others arrived several minutes later, dragging John behind by his shirt. Tatum refused to help them with John. She said that she would be honored to kick him all the way to the gate than dragging a coward. I knew she would throw a fit when it comes to situation like this. Sometimes I worried the reason she died is because her tongue is sharp and rude.

The gate was burnt completely. Some part of the walls was burnt to ashes. Remains crashed on the stairs as I coughed while climbing rubbles.

It seemed doubtful enough for survivors like us.

"I thought about dividing," Levi said.

"How about me and Perrie, Tatum with Sam and both of you stay here?" William suggested.

Everyone gave approving looks especially John who looked relieved. Our first task was to find useful things that can be used. William gave me a locket and my initials were on it. It had a tracking device inside. I got bored when he explained about the locket so, I ran downhill beside the destroyed gate, as William tried to catch up. And he did, very nimble on feet. We ran uphill and downhill, conquered many high grounds and through forests.

"Oh, look," I said. "It's a village."

But it was deserted.

"Funny how a place so big is actually abandoned," William spoke.

We went in and out and out and in each house there, laughing merrily at what we found. Near noon, I had taken a metal longbow. The slight window of the bow, the part where you hold your bow, was in a dark green color. And I immediately had fallen in love with it. The bow's string made a fine twang when I pulled it. Like little children, I showed the bow proudly to William as if I now owned it. He took out a RPD machine gun and smirked.

He furrowed his eyebrows at me and asked in a grave voice, "What arrowheads you took?"

William and I share the same interests when choosing arrows, mostly on heads. I pointed a quiver of arrows that I placed against a wooden wall of a house. "Sharp broad head points."

"Nice!" He beamed and looked at an arrow.

We finished looting and obtained ammos and arrows so far. Later, we rested on the grass beside the village and joked around. Because that was what siblings often do. Since I was very busy with my mission and him with his military training, we never had time to share our stories face to face. This would be one of my cherished moments. Everything always seemed perfect with the ones you love, no matter how big we fight, and make a mountain out of a molehill. Nothing is capable enough to break us apart.

I sat up to tie my brown hair with a black hair band when a glinting object caught my eye. I went to inspect but had to stop at a precipice. I crouched while leaning out without an existence of vertigo inside me. "What is that? It stung my eyes," William said.

"You think I know?" I said and studied the cave, where the glint came from. I saw a path that we could go there, starting from the edge of the village. We ran to the edge and glided down a slope without thinking a way to climb back up.

"Oh, we will find a way. I am sure of it," I said to him.