Preface

‘When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.’ A quote written by William Shakespeare in one of his famous plays ‘Romeo and Juliet’. To find a love like that in the modern day is so hard to come by. I grew watching my parents fight, fight, and fight. Never showing each other a loving glace, or a happy smile. Just hate and anger. I remember when my Dad was home he would come in my room at night and hold me as he cried promising me a better life. I grew up not knowing what true love really was. The only love I knew was my father’s love for me while protected me from her. I will always be thankful to him, for what he has done for me, everything.

                I knew it was my time to then to let him go, and be happy again. Even when it was leaving me to deal with the one person he has protected me from for almost 18 years. The day of my Father’s wedding I didn’t cry. I didn’t fight. I was truly happy for him. It meant he wasn’t sad anymore. And that’s what I needed him to know. It was time to move on.

                My Mother never was what a ‘mother’ should be. I was nothing to her but a hold over my father. I wasn’t anything more. When I was little all I wanted was for my mom to look at me and really love me, but that never happened. Never. She always just sent me back to my room while she did whatever she was doing.  So as you can guess, we never had a ‘mother daughter relationship’.

                I haven’t seen my Mother in almost 3 years. You would ask if I live with my father. Well I don’t.  My mother has full custody of me. She has sent me away to ‘boarding school’ for the last 5 years. When I put quotes around boarding school I mean it wasn’t boarding school. My mother told me it was to “get a better education” but she sent me to a military Academy. I’m not saying that I didn’t enjoy it. I made some of my best friends there. It made my future.

                You see this story all starts when my best friend Nicole, who I call Nickel or Nikki or just plain Nic, asked me to come to her house for summer break instead of staying here at school. Hell I love this place but I do not want to spend all my time here. I agreed. Her mom and dad did love me. If I only knew saying yes would change my life forever……