Chapter Twenty

“Hey Lightening.” Uncle Caleb smiled putting me down on the ground again. “Did you like your present from Sarah?” I nodded as he put my feet on the ground.

“I loved it. I have your old one if you want it?” He shook his head.

“Hello Sergeant James.” Mason smiled nodding at him.

“Hello Swift.” He nodded back holding me to him.

“You can keep the old one Kid. I got the new one when I was visiting with my sister.”

“Wait….You’re Sarah’s brother?” Uncle Caleb nodded laughing at his facial expression.

“I’m this Kid’s Uncle alright.” He smiled at him hugging me.

“That’s….that’s a little weird that I didn’t know this…” He said pulling a face. I smiled at Mason as Nic came over.

“What is he laughing about?” She asked Mason.

“Sergeant James is Car’s Uncle.” She pulled the same face as he did only moments ago.

“No wonder he always liked you better.” She laughed at me. I shrugged at them. Uncle Caleb smiled at me leaning down to whisper in my ear.

“Happy Birthday.” He laughed kissing my head as I smiled. “I wasn’t too sure what to get you. Sarah said I helped with the phone but I thought I should give you something else. So here.” He pulled a card out of his pocket and handed it to me. “It’s an iTunes gift card.” He shrugged at me.

“Thank you.” I hugged him.  He looked down at me.

“Why do those guys keep looking over here?” He asked me quietly making all of us turn to look at Tucker and the guys as they watched us.

“Oh shit I forgot they were here.” I said biting my lip. “I bet he’s pissed at me.” Nic shrugged.

“I’m not sure.” She looked back at me. “You were really cuddly with Mason….” She trailed off.

“He does think I would…?” She shrugged at me knowing where I was going. I would never. “I should go talk to him.” I sighed messing with the bracelet on my wrist.  Nic and Mason nodded at the same time.

“I’ll come with you. I want to talk to Ben.” I nodded taking a deep breath. Uncle Caleb patted my back in encouragement. I walked across the field with Nic to the guys who were talking to themselves.  Liam nudged Tucker as I put my hands in my pocket. Tucker looked down.

“Can we talk?” I asked quietly. He shrugged messing with his phone. “Please…I need to explain.” He looked up.

“What explain how you’re dating someone other than me?” I shook my head.

“Tucker it’s not what you think.” He looked at me.

“Then what is it? You are breaking up with me to date him?”

“Tucker he’s gay.” Nic said rolling her eyes.

“He’s what?” Ben said pulling her to him.

“He doesn’t like girls. He’s homosexual.” I said rubbing my neck. “We’ve been friends since we were in 6th grade.”

“That’s 6 years.” Nic said sitting down on Ben’s lap. I looked at Nic. “Sorry.” She leaned back into Ben who kissed her neck making her giggle. Tucker stood up.

“Let’s talk.” He said as we started to walk slowly away from the others to the swings I was just on with Mason. He put his hand out asking permission to hold hands. I put my hand in his as he intertwined our fingers.