Chapter Ten

“Alright Sarah. Thank you again.” I said rubbing my eyes.

“Carson stop saying that alright Baby? I know you love it. I’m happy you love it! I’m happy I am getting to talk to you.” I sniffled again.

“I’m sorry I haven’t call it’s just I have only been here a couple of days and it’s been hectic-”

“I know Carson I was young once. It was a while ago but it was once. I hope you’re having fun! But if anything happens you know you have a home here with us. Don’t worry about what your mom says.” She cut me off. I slid down the outside wall of the house as I stared out into the ocean.

“Don’t worry. I haven’t talked to her in months.”

“You haven’t? Are you kidding me? She calls herself a mother….” Sarah grumbled to herself.

“It’s what I lived with most of my life. I never could see why I couldn’t just live with Dad.” I sighed looking down at my jeans running my fingers over the seam.

“You shouldn’t of had too Carson. You’re only 17, 18 in a couple of days. You don’t deserve to have her do this to you.” I shrugged to myself.

“I don’t know Sarah.” I heard her sigh over the phone.

“I can’t see how someone could do that to their baby. I could never see me doing that to our JJ.”

“Well there is a difference from you and JJ and me and my Mom.  You care for your child. My mom, she doesn’t.”

“I care for you Carson. I’ll care for you for the rest of my life. You’re my baby too now.  If you need money you call me. I love you Carson. I want you to be happy.”

“I’m happy you married my Dad.” I sniffled again trying not to cry.

“Oh! Speaking of married! Me and your father are going to have a wedding since we eloped the first time! I want you there.”

“Really? You’re going to have a real wedding this time. What about JJ?”

“Well I have to wait till your father comes home so it should a little while. JJ should be coming in the next month. Oh I just can’t wait to have him in the world to hold.”

“I’m happy for you and Dad. Starting a family.” I smiled weakly to myself.

“We aren’t starting a family. We are just making our family just one bigger.” I closed my eyes. “I told you Carson you are my baby. And you are in this family. Don’t forget that.”

“I won’t.” I wiped my eyes again. “I love you Sarah.” I heard a sniffled on the other end of the phone.

“I love you too Carson.” I closed my eyes.

“I should get going. You know I haven’t had lunch yet.” I heard a tissue being pulled from the tissue box in the background.

“Okay Sweetheart. Call if you need anything. I will always answer if you need me.”

“I’ll call. I promise.”

“Alright Lightning. I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Bye.” I hung up the phone and pulled my knees up to my chest. I wrapped my arms around them and put my chin on top of my knees. I watched my cellphone in front of me as I went over the whole conversation in my head. I heard the screen door open and close but I didn’t look up.

“Penny for your thoughts.” Tucker said as he sat himself next to me.

“I’m just thinking.” I sighed turning my head to look at him. He copied my pose.