Chapter 1

"Rin," a voice says. "Rin Hoshizora."

She's the adopted one. She's the adopted one! Why won't Mom smile at me? Why does she pick out the flaws in me? Am I that bad?

"Earth to Rin," something hard hits the top of my head. I snap out of my thoughts and look up at my teacher, Mrs. Yukinari. The sides of her eyes crinkled in disapproval as I looked at her, still in my daze.

"The answer to my question Miss Hoshizora?" Mrs. Yukinari taps her foot on the floor. Her long manicured nails tapped on my desk, her patience getting thinner.

"Uh...25?" I guess.

"I believe you've forgotten. We're in English, not Math. But I believe you can think about that more, when you're in detention," Mrs. Yukinari arches her eyebrows. The bell rung, signaling it was three o'clock. "Class dismissed."

I sigh and lean back in my chair. Detention...again. What was up with old teachers these days? They're way too strict.. Pulling out my phone, I text Ema telling her I'll be late.

Ema: Is everything okay Rin?

Me: Everything's fine. I just have detention...again.

Ema: Rin... you need to pay attention more..

Me: Sorry. See you in an hour then.

I sigh, and put my phone away, looking at Mrs. Yukinari who was giving me dirty looks. Leaning against my palm, I stare out the window.

"Hey, you," a voice says behind me. I turn away from my family and look up at the boy. He seems to be a few years older than me. Not even wanting to know what he wants, I walk past him and head home.

"Aren't you going to say hi?" the boy starts to follow me. I simply ignore him and keep walking.

"You can't ignore me forever," the boy has a hint of amusement in his voice. I sharply turn on my heels and give him the meanest look I could.

"You're a boy, right?" I ask.

"Yes," he smiles.

"Then go away. I hate boys," I turn back around and start walking, but I feel something lightly tug on my short hair.

"What's a little girl like you doing with hair like this?" he asks. Tears start to form in my eyes, but I will them away.

"I'm not little! I'm five!" I yell at him.

"You're cute," the boy chuckles. My cheeks acquire a rose color as I look back at the boy.

"I-I am?" I stumble across my words.

"Of course," the boy smiles. "And a cute girl like you should have pretty hair."

"Boys like you are who destroyed it!" I glare at the ground. "I hate boys. Hate them, hate them, hate them."

"That's a lot of hate," the boy muses.

"Of course. I don't like them one bit!" I smile. "But one day, they're going to like me. Matter of fact, they're going to love me. And I'll be the one to turn them down for what they did."

"Well then, should I do some magic on you so that can happen?" the boy smiles innocently.

"Magic?" I tilt my head in confusion. The boy takes a pair of scissors out of his back pocket and I wince at the sight.

"Don't cut it!" my hands automatically cover my head.

"It's magic. I'll make it so you'll always be adorable," the boy tells me. My hands slowly leave my head and I look at him.

"The magic will help me?" I ask him.

"Yes," the boy answers.

"Rin Hoshizora!" a voice wakes me up. I had dozed off?

"Yes?" I look up sleepily at Mrs. Yukinari who looked as mad as ever.

"You children never learn!" my teacher throws her arms up in disgust and leaves the classroom. I sigh and grab my bag, walking out the classroom.

"There you are! I was worried you had gotten lost or something!" Ema runs up and hugs me. I look at her surprised.

"You waited for me?" I ask, still shocked.

"Of course. We were going to walk home together," Ema smiles. "Well..." She looks out the door and watches the rain pour down like cats and dogs outside.

"If we make a run for it..." I look outside with her. "I don't have an umbrella."

"My house is closer. We can go there and wait for the rain to let up," Ema says.

"Isn't your house further than mine?" I look at her confused.

"I moved remember?" Ema smiles. She grabs my hand and we run outside, giggling and laughing as we headed to her house.

"It's huge," I stop at the entrance.

"It's an apartment complex actually. My family is pretty big," Ema walks inside with me in tow.

"We're soaked," I laugh. "When did you move?"

"A few weeks ago," Ema smiles. "But everyone here is pretty nice."

"Everyone?" I walk behind her. We ride in an elevator and once we get out, we walk into a lounge hair filled with...boys.

"Uh..Rin, are you okay?" Ema looks at me worriedly, but I don't hear her voice. There were so many... My face started loosing color and soon I found myself on the floor.

"She fainted.."