Chapter 8

The city lights looked nice out at night. I never noticed. My cigarette felt almost weightless against my fingertips as a light breeze flowed through the window.

"Put the cigarette out Chloe. Lung cancer is not what I want my future wife to have."

My fingers went limp and my cigarette accidentally flew out the window. Butterflies erupted in my stomach and my eyes widened. Not just because my perfectly lit cigarette just flew out the window, but because I had just heard something that could possibly kill me before the cigarettes do.

What did he just say?

"What?"

He glanced over at me as if he was searching for something.

"Hey, where did your cigarette go?"

"Forget the cigarette! What did you just say Reese?"

"I said we are almost home."

I scowled and used as much strength as I could to punch him in the arm. He swerved while letting out a string of curse words.

"Get back in the right lane you idiot!" I screamed as I reached over and grabbed the wheel.

"Move Chloe! Your going to get us killed!"

"No, you're in the wrong lane!"

I turned the wheel to the right and got a blare of a horn in return. Reese quickly pulled the car out of the way and back into the wrong lane, where a car was speeding towards us.

"REESE!"

He pushed me back into my seat and swerved back into the correct lane just in time.

After both of our heart beats were returned to normal he pulled the car over and turned to me.

"Silence. You may not talk until we get to my house. Strap on your seat belt and do not say a word."

"You're a terrible driver. Every time I'm in the car with you we always end up in the wrong lane with a car heading towards us."

"Silence!"

"Don't tell me what to do."

He gave me a look that put my fight to bed. I huffed and crossed my arms while looking out the window. Reese pulled out into open traffic and started towards home again.

"Reese-.."

" Chloe if you don't shut up, I'll break all your cigarettes and flush them down the toilet."

I closed my mouth and stared out the window again. It was not my fault he was a terrible driver. He should work on it.

I guess I fell asleep because I was awakened with a sting in my cheek.

"Argg.."

"Wake up and get out of my car."

"Did you just slap me?"

"Yes. Out. Now."

I moaned and placed my hands on my cheek. How rude. I stumbled out of the car and grabbed the back of Reese's shirt. He led me to the front door and unlocked it. I was still half asleep so most of my weight was on him, yet he didn't seem to notice.

"Hurry Reese, I'm sleepy."

"Well maybe if you opened your eyes you'd realize we were already in the house."

I opened my eyes and was sure enough greeted with furniture. Nice furniture. Expensive furniture. My God.

"Wow."