Part 1: Chapter 12: Part 1

This chapter is more like a filler but whatever
---

"Seriously, Samael? Instead, how about you tell me what little Daisy, over there, was talking about," I said stiffly, feeling heat rush through my face at the thought of what he was thinking of as a 'reward'.

"What are you talking about?" Samael asked, his voice rough and his jaw tightening. I pointed towards the pile of ashes with stubborn eyes glaring holes into him.

"It said your name, but before it could say anything else about you, it started choking," I said in monotone, watching his every move as I kept talking. He was doing the same – making no sudden movements, except with his eyes, as he watched my every move. "Care to explain?"

The tension in the air around us was almost tangible. It was so thick and taunting that it made us both cautious and uncomfortable, but it didn't stop me from wanting my answer. I started walking towards him slowly, trying not to look desperate for the answer. I didn't want him to walk away or disappear and have my answer disappear with him. I wanted to know what was going on.

I don't know what was driving the motivation of knowing the answer. All I knew was that something in me needed to know the answer. And, for that reason, I felt like this answer was the reason of why we were on the run.

"Michelle, we really don't have time for this," Samael stated, his tone of voice sharp and clipped.

"We have all the time in the world, Samael. We're both immortal," I corrected, growling at him. "Just because I'm your student – or whatever – doesn't mean I'm fucking stupid. I can feel when something is missing or something isn't right. If you don't tell me what's going on I'm going to scream!"

"Hello!" Zach yelled, slamming his fists on the walls of the building. "I still exist!" he yelled as the building rattled over him. "Get me out of here!"

"Shut up!" Samael and I yelled, making Zach's fist pound against the building with more strength.

"Michelle, I really need to get all of us out of here right now," Samael calmly said, though I could sense irritation and frustration flowing through him. "I can tell you a fairy tale later. Right now we need to get goi-"

I hear Zach yell as the building started to groan and a big chunk of the wall broke off, Zach following the falling wall almost immediately. Samael and I turned around quickly to see what had happened and if there was anyone else in the building that could have thrown him through the wall, only to see no threat or any other damage... other than what was already broken inside the building.

My eyebrows furrowed and my brain slowly put everything together as I watched him come up from the ground lazily, groaning quietly. "Zach, did you just-"

"If you want shit done, you got to do it yourself," Zach muttered as he stood all the way up, swaying a little from side to side as he started brushing off all the dust on his pants and shirt. 

"Zachary, may I remind you-"

"I don't need any lectures right now, fuck off," Zach muttered, pouting as he felt his hair to see if everything was in order. Only, it wasn't. His hair had parted from its normal style, into strands of hair sticking out at every angle with pebbles, dirt, and blood all over it. "Baby, I'm so sorry," he whispered to his hair as he tried to smoothen it out, his little pout quivering.

Samael looked at him in shock, then turned from him to me. "Did he just tell me to f-"

"Fuck off, Samael," I muttered as I jogged over to Zach to see if he was injured. I saw Samael's eyebrows raise and eyes widen slightly from the corner of my eye as I jogged to Zach.

Once I got to Zach, I put my hands on his shoulders and looked him over. He looked up at me with angry eyes. "Zach, you idiot, I didn't say shut up because I didn't want to let you out. I said shut up because I was in the middle of an important conversation," I yelled at him, making his glare go away slightly. "If you gave me a couple more seconds I would've opened the doors."

"Well, in case you haven't noticed in our 17 years of living together, I'm not a very patient person," he replied in a sarcastic whisper, which made me sigh in frustration.

"Yeah, Zach. I've noticed," I breathed out, looking him over again. "Are you hurt? Spin," I instructed, spinning my finger in a circle in the direction I wanted him to turn. He rolled his eyes and held his hands up by his head, spinning around for me.

"Is this necessary?" he asked, looking embarrassed as he did one more spin — after stopping on the first one and watching me stare him down, telling him to turn again.

"Very. You're not getting hurt under my watch," I replied bluntly. "And if I have to act like an annoying mother in order to make sure you're okay, then so be it."

He sighed once he got all the way around again, looking at me with annoyed eyes. "Read my lips. I. Am. Fine," he said as took a step towards me, only to trip over a broken off a piece of wood and land right on his face.

"Zach," I said slowly, dropping to my knees as I tried hard not to laugh. "Oh my gosh, are you okay?" I asked, sounding like I was hiccuping because of my held back laughter.

"You know, I'm kind of sleepy anyway," Zach murmured as he stayed down on the floor, taking in a deep breath. "I think I might just stay down here and rest a little. It's been a long day."

"No. We have to keep moving. Now," Samael said, glaring at both of us. "If you don't want to move I can't guarantee your little brother's safety," he said stiffly, piercing his blue and red eyes at me.

"Hey, is it okay if I call you Sam?" Zach asked, face still on the floor.

"No, it's no-"

"Great. So Sam, can you zap us into a hotel room or something? I'm not really with the whole walking thing right now," Zach muttered, lifting himself up only to move closer to me and put his head on my lap. "Everything that happened today is finally hitting me and I feel like I've been such a good sport and deserve a break for the day. All I need is a couple hours."

"Zachary we do not have time for-"

"Of course we can let you sleep for a couple hours," I said as I ran my hand through my brother's hair, glaring at Samael.

Samael looked at me with a twitching eye, making me smile sweetly and blow a kiss at him with my free hand and wink at him.

I have a feeling Zach will be a useful person for these next couple weeks.

Especially with annoying 'Sam'.

"Hey, thanks, Michelle," Zach said softly, smiling as he enjoyed the little massage I was giving him with my hand. "At least one out of the two are decent."