Chapter 1

~:~ Give me some feedback... por favor?  :) And should I keep this as third person? ~:~

Chapter 1

Kira hastily scribbled down notes as her history teacher rambled on, and on about Greek mythology. The bell rings just as soon as she finishes scribbling down information about Aphrodite. She stands up, stretching her back before moving out of the less crowded hallway. After swinging by her locker and saying goodbye to a few friends, Kira made her way to the parking lot where her mother waited for her.

“How was your day?” Melissa, Kira’s mother, asks as she slowly pulls out of the school’s parking lot and onto the highway.

“Just peachy,” Kira mutters tiredly closing her eyes as she slumps against the seat. She not-so-secretly loathes school and isn’t afraid of making it obvious.

“Speaking of school, did you send in application to a Redford Private School?” Melissa asks, making Kira sit up alert and confused as she turns to her mom.

“A who-edy what school?” she says, making Melissa smile nervously at her. “Sorry mom, never heard of it, why?” Kira asks, now extremely curious. Why would she get anything from a school she never even heard of?

“Well, you got a rather thick packet in today from them,” Melissa says as Kira bites her lip before shrugging.

“I’ll look at it when we get home,” she replies uncaringly. Kira looks out the window as the trees slide by, and can’t help but hoping that something interesting happens sometime soon.

The two women pull up to a three bedroom home, complete with a dog in the front. Kira jumps out of the SUV, slinging her plaid book bag over her shoulder. “Here Jupiter,” she calls out to the Saint Bernard who comes running at her, her tongue sticking out. “No jumping,” she scolds the dog as she skillfully dodges the dog’s huge paws. Jupiter whines for a second before trotting after her master.

“Naw, be nice to the poor girl, she’s missed you,” Kira’s mom says, a smile on her face as her and her daughter enters their home. Kira replies back with a simple snort. “Dinner will be ready in twenty and the mail is on the table,” she tells her daughter before moving on into the kitchen to fish out a frozen pizza. She bites her lip as she takes a peek around the corner where her only daughter is playing with the dog. Her curiosity to what the envelope holds is almost killing her. What would that school want with her family? They left that type of life long behind them.

Kira bends down, petting her dog as she licks her in the face making her giggle. The only reason she’s petting the dog is because she knows her mother is waiting for her to open the envelop. Three. Two. One…

“Will you just open the dang envelope already!” her mother explodes, walking into the foyer, her hands on her hips. Kira lets out a giggle as she stands up and walks into the living room. She picks up the crème colored envelope and studies the front of it for a moment

Where is Redford Private School even located at? Kira sighs, flipping the rather thick envelop over. She slides her finger under the paper as she falls onto the couch, curling her feet under her. Loudly, Kira starts humming the Jeopardy theme song under her breath as she slowly opens the envelope, knowing it’ll bother her mom. In response, she hears a loud, annoyed sigh coming from her right making her smirk.

Her smirk falls as she turns serious as the envelop opens fully. Kira turns it upside down, catching the contents in her hands. The first thing she pulls out is a hand written letter. Wow, they really must want me to come here, Kira thought.

Kira Knightly

, wait, my last name is Johansen, not Knightly…

Redford Private School would like to present you with a full ride scholarship to finish up your sophomore through senior year here with us. With us, you’ll explore your special talents, get to meet individuals like yourself, and be able to immerse yourself in foreign cultures.