Chapter One

**2009, somewhere in modern-day Germany**

"You're so worthless.."

"Then why did you come back? Why did you have to come and ruin what we were repairing?"

Not this shit, again.

I didn't have to be there to know what was going on. My piece of shit father came back, probably drunk as usual, and now he was going to seek revenge on us for leaving his sorry ass on the streets. My mother yelled at him every time and they ended up exchanging punches, having the exact same argument every time.

"Get out of here!" she yelled.

The sound of her voice was muffled by the sharp sound of breaking glass. It sounded like he was pushing every dish out of the cupboards. He was really pissed, this time.

"Waste of a life!"

"Stop it! Stop this right now and leave!"

It was one of those things that happened every other day. Fighting, heartbreak, loneliness, repair, repeat. I knew the drill: go into my bedroom and hide behind the bed until mother says it's safe to come out. My father never seemed to put the bottle down, let alone his fist. I've had my fair share of beatings from him, but it wasn't from us kicking him out, it was because I wasn't the son he wanted me to be. I didn't want to get a job working for the Garrison, I didn't want to be an iron worker, and I didn't want to be a policeman. But the one thing he hated the most about me, is the fact that I'm bisexual.

The sound of my mother screaming filled my ears, and made me cringe every second. I hated myself for not doing anything, but what could a weak, seventeen year old boy do? I didn't know how to stop a fight, hell, I didn't even know how to get my dad to let me out of the house when I was younger. He was a dangerous man, no doubt about that. He was an alcoholic, as you can probably tell, he hated everyone and took out his anger on his family, and left us, blaming my mother for all of his problems. He was never a great person, even before the drinking. He always put pressure on me to do certain things in my life, act a certain way, and dress like we were a well put together family, even though we were about as average as everyone else.

My mother and I were quite fine on our own, not really struggling as much as we expected to since she had a low income, but it was a decent life. She supported me, loved me, and accepted me for who I was. She never got mad at me for having no friends, and she never pressured me into doing anything outside of my comfort zone, and that's what I loved about her. She loved me as Levi.

The yells echoed through the house, sending all too familiar memories flying through my head. I put my hands over my ears, but nothing could drown out the sound of his voice.

Even through the screaming matches and the wrath of my father, I felt safe in my room. Not because of the closed door and the security of its four walls, but it was because I was alone. I was a recluse, had no friends, and I spent all day and night in my room. I wasn't entertained or occupied, I just simply loved the peace and quiet. It's who I was.

I heard my mother crying from the living room, and I myself began to cry. I've never been good with emotional obstacles, and I've never been good with people in general. It was cowardly of me, but the last thing I wanted to do was to further piss off my sad excuse for a father. Even if she was just crying because one of her friends died, I wouldn't know what to do to comfort her.

"I should have beaten you to a pulp when I was here the last time so I wouldn't have to see your face again!" I heard footsteps approach my room with pure rage, following the pounding on my bedroom door. "Get out here, you little shit, and let me show you how to be a real man!"