Chapter Thirteen

Levi's POV:

I woke up in the middle of the night with my clothes stained with dry tears from my emotional breakdown.  I don't really know why I was crying, but it felt a little relieving to get it out of my system.  I'd been bottling up my emotions for a little over a year, and my only release was drinking it away, so crying made me feel good.

I'll be damned if I ever let that kid see me cry again, though.

I looked over at the bed and noticed that he was sound asleep on one side, leaving an open space probably for me when I woke up in the middle of the night.  I appreciated the offer, but it made me feel a little uneasy.  I don't want to wake up to him all over me. 

I can't just push him off, though.  

If I did anything to hurt him, he would never be comfortable here, and he may even be scared of me.  The kid was just jumped and nearly killed three days ago, if I did anything that resulted in me hurting him, purposefully or accidentally, he would flinch around me and it would be hell for him here.

"Fuck," I whispered.

He must have heard me, because he began to move, slightly awake.  Instead of waking up, he adjusted his position and took over the middle of the bed, taking away the spot that once awaited me.

You motherfucker.

I didn't want to think about the conversation he would probably drag me into in the morning about seeing me cry.  Crying made me feel extremely uncomfortable, and whenever I saw people begin to cry, that's when I run away.  I wasn't alright with either of those happening, because if I hurt the kid, whether it was physically or emotionally, my ass was done for, and I can say hello to another cage, and a little surprise heading my way in the shower.

I sighed and stared at the ceiling, waiting for the clock to move from midnight to eight so I can lay in bed and get some decent sleep.  It wasn't that bad on the floor after a while, but I was hoping to god that he was a morning person and let me sleep in for the day.  If not, I just might have to push him off of the balcony.

Eren's POV:

"Wake up, sweetheart," I heard my mother say.  She was sitting on my bed at my side, rubbing my back.  I usually woke up a little after that, because I felt all too comfortable with my mom at my side.  After a while, I stirred my body, pretending I had just woken up, and looked at my mother.

She was beautiful.  It was hard to believe she was my mother.  She had long, black hair and amber eyes, and her smile could thaw a frozen heart.  She gave me and my sister the world.  It seemed like she never ever had a bad day, and she was our ultimate protector.  She really cared about everyone and everything, and she saw the world as innocent and beautiful.  I always hoped that I would grow up to be like her, because I believe in her soul lied true happiness.

"Today's your first day of High School, Eren.  You have to wake up and go take a shower so you don't show up with bed head.  You won't impress anyone with moppy hair," she laughed.

She knew I was gay, and she was pretty accepting of that.  My father was still in the process of getting used to it, and when I told Mikasa she shot me a feeling of jealousy, which I didn't quite know how to react to.  She wasn't my real sister, we had taken her in after her parents were brutally murdered.  We were pretty young, then, so there wasn't really a time in my life that I could think of where she wasn't there.

"I will, mom," I said.  She leaned over and kissed me on the forehead and I smiled.  I loved my family with all of my heart.  I don't know what I would ever do without them.