Chapter Seven

WARNING: IF YOU CANNOT HANDLE BRUTAL ACTS OF VIOLENCE PLEASE TAKE CAUTION WHILE READING THIS CHAPTER. 

***

Rage filled my body, anger took over my eyes.  My dream was now a reality, except Farlan and Isabel weren't here anymore.  I didn't know what to think, but I had one idea through all of this madness.

Kill.

I drew my gun, still as a statue.  A soldier noticed and watched me as I stared at the camp they must have set up, ready for my move.  He had done this.  He killed everyone.  I let down Farlan and Isabel, and now they were dead.  I wasn't there to protect them.  I let my weaknesses take over me, and I failed them.  I let them down.  I let myself down.  God knows how many people died because I wasn't there.  But the rage inside of me needed to avenge them.  My grip on the handle tightened.  I'm going to slaughter this man how he slaughtered all these soldiers.  I'm going to make it painful, bloody, and slow.  Everything I've learned and every pain and emotion I've bottled up for so long was going to be passed onto this monster.  I wanted him to feel the pain it had caused my heart.

"It isn't your fault, okay?"

I ran forward, screaming.  Tears were streaming down my already soaked skin, and my legs were numb with adrenaline.  I could tell this tactic wasn't going to work, but it wasn't going to keep me from trying.  If I was going to do this, it had to be quick after all.

"Come back to us."

I hid inside of the bed of a truck, waiting for the right time.  I took a deep breath and came out at full force, moving as fast as I could, shooting as many soldiers in my path as I could.  This guy  was smart, so I knew I had to think outside of the box to continue my work.  I hid behind one of their tents and readied my throwing knives, taking a deep breath in attempt to calm the rage boiling inside of me, but I could tell by the shaking of my hands that it wasn't working.  I quickly slipped around the right side and threw a knife into the left side of the rebel, causing him to cry out in pain, but no one was going to be there to help him, which is exactly what I wanted to happen to him.  Blood trickled down his side and onto his thigh, showing me how deep the knife had actually gone.   As I watched it, I could only think of myself when I was first sent to the barracks.  I was in pain, lonely, crying, and all I wanted to do was scream.  This guy was a reflection of the person I really was.  I wasn't fit to be a soldier.  I was nothing but a cowardly monster.  He grew quiet and still, and a few seconds later unexpectedly came at me with full force.  

I should have known that a simple knife wasn't going to render him defenseless.

"Don't let your ego go to your head, dammit."

He tackled me down, holding a knife to my throat and pinning my arm to the ground with his foot, staring at me with anger.  Now, I really messed up.  I was frozen in my tracks.  I tried to get away, but he pressed the knife into me harder, kneeling down, and burning me with the end of his cigarette.  My arms were pinned at the wrists, so all I could do was scream.  I was useless. There was nothing I could do at this point.  I let my emotions get the best of me, and I made the mistake of letting the guy live to suffer rather than killing him on the spot.  I had one blade still present in my head, but I couldn't move my arm.  I pulled the trigger of a gun that was in my pocket, but it had no bullets.  Guess Erwin was right, after all.  The guy was a bastard, but he was looking out for me, and my stubborn ass didn't listen.  I was going to die here.  This was it.  I was never going to see my mother again.  She would never get better.  I would die a lonely man.  My family is gone.  I betrayed my comrades.  I failed myself and I failed humanity.