Chapter Five

"Alright, soldiers, today begins your first day of training!  You will be put to the test on your ability to flawlessly shoot and throw a knife.  If you succeed, you will be put on the Special Ops team, and if you don't, you're going to work your ass off until you prove you're worthy to us at all!  We have obstacles set up, and your only objective is to hit each target you come in contact with.  Get moving!"

"Yes, sir!" everyone shouted.

 I was given my uniform, a tan leather jacket with the military's emblem on both shoulders and back, white pants, dark brown boots, and a body belt for weapons. I touched it up with my nice shirt and tie. I didn't like the finishing product, but the look will have to manage.  

I didn't want to be here.  I don't know why anyone would want to be here.  This is just a faster way to die, ignorant people go out and get killed in seconds.  They waste years of their life just to die for nothing.  I shouldn't be here, I had a mother to look after.  Pyxis glanced over at me, but I snickered in his direction.  I hated that son of a bitch.  I don't care if the world was ending, I didn't want to be any part of the military.  You'd have to drag my ass in kicking and screaming.  I couldn't trust anyone but Farlan at this point, everyone else was a liar to me, and nothing could change that.

"Hey, Levi!" a voice shouted.

I turned around to see Farlan and a younger girl with dark red hair.  A smile lit up her face, and it never seemed to leave.  I had seen her the first few days I was here, but I never met her until now.  She looked like she could have been the youngest here.  I felt bad for her.  Not because she was a girl or because she was dealing with Farlan, but because she was so innocent.  Normal kids were playing in the neighborhood, she was devoting her life to a lost cause, waiting to see a sight that could scar her memory forever.  One day the innocence in her was going to be taken away, and I hated that it was headed in this direction.

"Hey.  Who's this?" I said, referring to the girl.

She blushed as I eyed her.  "My name is Isabel!  I'm from the district underground.  I was dragged into this just like you two.  I came from a town that didn't have much, and I wasn't in a good place, so my father called in Commander Erwin to pull me out here for a better life.  I'm not too happy about being here, but I look forward to some adventure, and I hope I'm helpful to humanity," she said brightly.  Her green eyes lit up with devotion.  She seemed like she actually didn't mind being here.

"Hello, Isabel.  I'm Levi.  How are you feeling about judgement day?  Today is the first day of the rest of our lives.  I want to make it count," I said.

"Yeah, I'm a little nervous.  I've read the handbook and I've sat in the classes, but I feel like one way or another I'm going to make a fatal mistake, and I don't know how prepared I am for that," Farlan said. 

He was right.  One mistake in the places we were going, and you were as good as dead.  None of us had any enthusiasm or actual reason to be here, but we were constantly reminded of the horrors the rebel groups brought to the world.  Here, you had to be prepared to put your life on the line, even if it was for no clear purpose.  

"Well, we should get going, eh?" asked Isabel.  I'm glad she said something, because I could feel the air turning dark around us.

"Right behind you!" said Farlan.

I was terrified, but at the same time, I was looking forward to this.  I needed to take out my rage, somehow, and cleaning wasn't quite doing it for me this time.  Hopefully this won't be too bad.  I have people to rely on and connect with, at least.  As long as I have some sort of sanity to keep me grounded, maybe I can manage being in the Special Ops.  We headed out in a safe spot in neutral country where the new recruits had to use throwing knives to take down the targets, most which would appear very suddenly. The real task at hand was simple: eliminate the rebel groups.  It was easy, but it was no less than dangerous.