Chapter Three

I waited to meet up with the strange man until around sunset.  I figured it would be safer that way.  I admit, I was nervous.  I wasn't completely sure I wanted to do this.  But I'm here, and I already told my mother, so there was no going back, now.  She was excited and everything.  Even if I told her the job wasn't a success and just ducked out, she would be disappointed no matter what exit I took.  I was forced into a corner, realizing that 'no' was no longer an option.

I made my way through the path in the center part of town, making my way to the same spot I was yesterday, hoping that I wouldn't regret this.  Butterflies grew in my stomach as I grew sick and lightheaded, getting adrenaline in the way I never hoped.

What if I get caught?

What if he threatens me if I say no?

What if mother finds out?

The sensation was growing worse, causing me to lean over, my chest almost on my knees as I clenched my stomach, trying my hardest to stop myself from throwing up right then and there.

"I see you showed up, kid!" I heard a voice say from behind, my worry turning into instant regret.

'Don't ever regret a damn thing.'

Thanks, Kenny.

Asshole.

I turned around to see the man holding what looked like a briefcase, but I was smart enough to know that it was probably a case of some kind of throwing knives.

"Here I am," I joked uncomfortably.

"We need to go to the outskirts of town where the mountains are.  We can't be seen doing this," he said suspiciously, looking around to make sure we weren't being watched.

I nodded my head in agreement.  Even though I had chosen to do this, something still didn't feel right. 

I sighed and followed the man as we made our journey to a secret part of town to practice.  We made our way through alleys and lots I never even knew I existed.  It was a rather dark part of town, mostly inhabited by the homeless.  I tried not to make eye contact as we walked by.  I had it rough, but at least I had somewhere to call home.  I felt a pain in my heart, but even if I wanted to help them, I really couldn't.  We passed some people who nodded at the man with a smirk, indicating they knew each other and were of the same business.  I received dirty looks, but I tried my best to ignore looking up from the ground.

"So this is what it's like to be a criminal," I thought.

I feel like a huge let down.

My previous feeling of adrenaline mixed with nausea returned, feeling much worse, now.  This didn't feel right, yet, I couldn't seem to stop myself from proceeding.  I wanted nothing to do with being a criminal.  All that would do is show that I'm no different than the sad excuses for men in my family who were known for being violent, lowlife assholes who abused everyone.  I also felt fear, fear that I wouldn't be treated nicely by this man for long.  It reminded me a lot of how my Uncle was when he taught me how to use a knife, and sometimes that experience got a little hard and violent, him lashing out occasionally, but I hadn't felt that feeling until now.  I certainly didn't miss it.