Chapter Nineteen

I stared into the mirror, adjusting my cravat to make it straight, again.  I smoothed down the same white button-up shirt I had worn a few years ago, except it was covered with a black suit jacket.  I had on pants that looked like black skinny jeans, and I had on my nicest pair of black converse.  I took a deep breath and combed my hair, making my final adjustments to my appearance.  I wanted to call Eren into the bathroom to make sure I didn't look like a disaster, but he was already on his way to school.

I poured hot tea into my foam cup and walked out the door, pen in hand.  I was shaky and nervous, I hadn't applied for a job in over two years, and thoughts of meeting Pyxis in Trost flew throughout my mind.  

At least this time I wasn't going to be a criminal.

Honestly, I didn't know where to start.  I wasn't really qualified for much, and my schooling was done in Germany, so nothing of that was really much use to me here in Sina.  

I began by going into some clothing stores and applying there, not really feeling too thrilled about working with clothes all day, but it was a decent start that didn't really require a whole lot to do.  I applied at a few, such as Black and White, Chanel, Footlocker, and H&M.  I wasn't a hipster, but I'd be one if it meant having a job.

When I finished applying there, I walked past some food places and scoffed.  I was a clean freak, and there was no way I was willing to work in nasty environments like that.  I didn't want a job where I'd be satisfying ungrateful people, and that's what food business was basically all about.

I made my way up about a block or so, and ran into a fancy-looking office building with the words "Legions Inc." written in lights near the top of the skyscraper.  I stopped and stared up and down its height, wondering if I should even bother.  There was no way someone so unqualified and unprofessional would make it in a place like this.

A woman walked up to me and smiled.  She was wearing a red blazer and a black skirt with the same color red high heels.  Her dark auburn hair was pulled back, revealing her thin face and huge, square glasses.  She was holding some flyers in her hand and passed one over to me, holding her smile.

"Are you looking for work, sir?" she asked, almost like she knew why I was here.

"Um, I don't think I'm exactly qualified for something like this.  I've never actually had a job before..." I trailed off, feeling more nervous that I had maybe just ruined my chances.

"You don't need it, here," she said.  "You start out as an intern, then you'll be an apprentice, and eventually you'll move up and land yourself a permanent desk job.  A lot of workers were just fired after they were caught hacking databases, so we're in a huge need for new workers.  Would you happen to be interested?"

I swallowed, shocked.  It's almost like this job was being handed to me.  "Yeah, sure!" I cheerfully agreed.

She smiled and waved me inside.  "Well, follow me, and we'll put in your application and you'll most likely start in five days.  I'm Zoe, by the way, but everyone calls me Hanji," she said.

"I'm Levi, nice to meet you."

She walked behind the main desk and grabbed me a small packet of papers and handed them to me, which were filled out in practically seconds, and before I knew it, I had a job.

"Obviously, as you know, this is Legion Incorporation, but everyone calls it The Legion, just so you don't get giggled at on your first day," Hanji winked.

And just like that, my life was finally going somewhere.

***

Eren's POV: