다섯

i remember finding out the hard way that she had accepted your feelings.

i left the house for school earlier than usual because i had work to do for the student council.

on the way, i had passed by your house. i remember wondering if you were still asleep, and smiled at the thought of your sleeping face.

but before i stepped foot on campus, i heard giggling come from a bench near school.

it was you and her, holding hands, sharing a crepe from a store nearby.

she had gotten some whipped cream on her nose, and you had kissed it off.

my heart broke into a million pieces. i quickly ran to the student council room, making sure you didn't see me, and shut the door.

i sat on my desk and cried my eyes out. i honestly didn't think that this would affect me this much.

then one of my council members walked in the room in the middle of my wallowing and gave me a giant hug. she knew me inside and out, and could tell what was wrong with one glance.

i asked her if she had seen them. she nodded.

"they've been together for a week now." she said.

i cried even more. why didn't you tell me? did you already forget who i was?

i remember that i hated myself for being such a bad friend. if i were a better friend, you would've told me, right?

i gathered up my emotions and did the work i came here to do, until i got a message on my phone.

"can we talk afterschool?"

i didn't even have to look at the sender to know who it was.

⊲⊳

school ended, and i walked to the gate to go home when a hand pulled me back.

you greeted me with a small smile and introduced me to your new girlfriend.

i held back my tears at the sight of your intertwined hands and congratulated you.

"thanks for giving me the confidence to tell her. i'm really happy." you laughed, squeezing your hands.

i gave a dry chuckle and joked, "now don't you go and forget all about little ol' me!"

but to me, it wasn't a joke. it was a plead. it was my desperation that i was unable to hold in.

you promised me that you would never be able to forget me, and that you'd make time to hang out with me.

with that promise, i felt a little better. i just really hoped that those weren't empty promises.

but as the days turned into weeks, and the weeks turned into months, and the months turned into years, i was still hanging on to your words. i was still waiting for you to fulfill your promise.

but you never did.

we graduated high school without ever saying another word to each other.