Seven

Leyla

"Blessing of the morning, Mihrisa." A Kischmir curtsied deeply to Leyla, an act of formality she wasn't used to.

"Please, do not curtsy," She begged, "I am but a commoner. Call me Leyla."

"But you are the Dralan's Mihrisa," the Kischmir said, looking respectfully at her. "You serve the greatest purpose any female could wish to serve. You sustain our Dralan."

Leyla hadn't thought of it like that. Yes, it was a true honor to serve his lordship the Dralan, but to be considered as his lifesource... "Even so, I beg you. Call me Leyla."

"Very well... Leyla," the Kischmir curtsied again and made Leyla sigh resignedly. "I am to help you bathe and cater to your hunger. What would thou like for breakfast?"

Instantly, Leyla felt the slight rawness in her throat that indicated she needed to drink soon. The Dralan still hadn't chosen her a feeder and she wouldn't press the subject any further. She had displeased him enough, so she ignored the slight burn. "Anything easy and simple will be fine, truly. I can cook it myself, you don't have to--"

"Please, it is my honor," The Kischmir said. "Anything you'd like, I'll bring to you."

This wasn't going to work out, Leyla thought. If she was going to be her Kischmir or whatnot, she needed to lose some of the formality. "What is your name?"

"Bhria, mistress," She replied, curtsying again.

"Well, Bhria, if we are going to do this, I can't have you speaking to me like that. I used to work these halls as you did, I would prefer it if you would speak to me with the rank that you and I share," Leyla said, placing a hand on the female's shoulder when she lowered her head. "I am a female like you. We are nothing in this world if our solidarity fails. So please, speak to me as you would any female."

Bhria looked up hesitantly, biting her lip. "You are of kind nature. Where do you come from?"

"Eraldrulth," Leyla replied, smiling when the female seemed to ease. "Where do you?"

"Nehlmir."

The females talked for hours while Leyla prepared, going through the necessary ablution thoroughly for the Dralan's liking, before dressing in a red dress Bhria had brought with her upon her arrival. Leyla learned that Bhria's brother was a Lathra, and that was why she had gotten a place in the royal household. Her family had some vague noble blood, but it was too faint to hold any value these days.

"My parents grandparents were nobles of Nehlmir. Our roots have always been in Nehlmir, I think Byhron and I were the first to ever leave," She told while she braided Leyla's hair with care.

"Do you miss it?"

"Sometimes," Bhria looked down as a shadow slid over her face, "but I am much safer here. The Mihr hunters... they were scavenging the lower cities and... and..."

A chill went through Leyla's body. "Did they get to you?"

She heard the female sniffle and then her eyes glossed up. "Yes. It was awful. I fought, but... oh, I'm sorry."

When she broke down crying, Leyla reached a hand up to hers and squeezed it. "Have courage, sister. You survived your suffering, many do not. Fate might have been cruel to you, but the sweet Blithesome Miss is watching over you in the sky. She protects you now."