Ch. 2

There was a dark wood clock with golden hands, ticking the seconds away, and for the moment, that was the only noise Kaz could hear. His breath caught as their eyes locked, like he'd never seen a girl like her before.
She was wearing a beige, spotted headset with golden sequins hanging from it, bringing out her dark, chocolate-y eyes and matching smooth-looking mocha skin. Her hair was arranged in a fancy fish-tail braid, messy from the rough doings.
Deep down, he ached to touch her, his strange animalistic insctincts guiding him.
She's already a prostitute, anyway, He thought, you already practically own this house, anyway.
Ashamed of himself and his cruel thoughts, the boy focused on playing with the lockpick between his teeth.
Her eyes scanned him, not quite trusting and not quite forgiving.
"If you do buy the Menagerie, please do yourself a favor and burn it down." The Suli girl stated, not even managing to look Kaz in the eyes.
"We were actually planning on making more of a profit out of it, you see." The pale boy answered, tapping his fingers rhythmically on the dark wood night stand next to the bright-colored bed.
He shuffled around, getting comfortable, resting one leg over the other and looking opposite of the girl.
"There's no use wasting such a fine building that already has fame for entertaining, won't you agree?"
A bit of pity accompanied those words, for he knew that most of these girls hated this place, despised it much more than anything else in Ketterdam. They despised it almost as much as they despised Tante Heleen.
She stayed quiet, her back towards him.
And he did too, his eyes on her back, his head half turned.