Ch. 3

Jordie lured Tante Heleen into a quiet, velvety room, a perfect setting for a perfect plan.
His eyes traveled around the room as Tante's stayed fixed on him. Another perimeter check, just in case.
There was a dark wood, heavy-looking desk with an old-fashioned golden lamp sitting at an edge, radiating fuzzy yellow light that gave such little warmth to this room, Jordie thought he was going to freeze to death.
The pale boy rested on the desk, next to the lamp for maximum warmth, his eyes glancing Tante Heleen as she looked him up and down with unspoken and well-hidden hunger.
Velvety, scarlet curtains covered the windows, big enough to make a tent, darkening the room to a point of almost no sight.
As Tante Heleen sat down on a matching dark wood chair with golden embroidery, Jordie whipped out his black leather case, showing it to her wth much more confidence than he should have.
The handsome boy finger combed his raven hair back, looking very similar to his brother for almost half a second.
He reached for Tante Heleen's knee, resting his hand there as the other opened the case.
Tante Heleen's cat-like, slanted eyes glowed in the dimly lit room as she rested them on such a large amount of kruge.
"Now, Miss, must I say anything else?" Jordie's smooth voice was the personification of honey dripping from colored glass.
Tante crossed her legs, shaking off Jordie's hand.
"What do you wish to do with this building?" She smiled, mocking him for dumbly thinking of her as a fool.
"My, my, that's a secret I'd rather keep to myself." He tapped the arm of the chair, silently, rhythmically, to the beat of his heart.
Tante Heleen merely smiled.
And so, Jordie walked away with a not-so-well-read-but-signed contract about the Menagerie in his hand.
He checked his watch.
11:47.
Kaz was late.
The twinkling stars, gawked at by the mocha-colored girl, seemed to shine only for her, and her mind was filled with scattered thoughts.
Tante Heleen had her head pointed towards the sky, too. She thought the stars looked very much like the diamonds shining in her earrings.
And so, Jordie, with patience only for his little brother, waited, a contract and an empty case in hand.