Chapter 9

Once again, I found myself back in Mr Grey’s office, alone.  Ryan and Ant had left when Mr Grey was finished with them.  Ryan had a huge smile on his face thanks to Ant making up a story that we found him and broke him out of his lockdown.  Ryan and I had become Experts and Ant had been told to wait outside. 

“In all due respect, sir, were you trying to kill Ryan and me?” I asked as soon as the others had left. 

“I wanted you to find Anthony and you did,” Mr Grey said.  “And you don’t look too hurt to me.” 

“I almost had to kill someone,” I said.  He shrugged. 

“You’ll have to kill people in your life.” 

“Labelle could have killed us if he wanted to.” 

“But he didn’t.” 

“But-” 

“Marley, enough,” he said in a tone that was ice cold.  “You and Ryan got Anthony and that’s that.” 

“I didn’t do anything to get him out,” I mumbled. 

“I know,” Mr Grey said.  “It was Anthony on his own, but I suppose you two deserved to move up a class.” 

“So you knew I did nothing?” 

“Yes,” he nodded slowly.  “All you did was go to that restaurant and receive messages from Labelle.  You’re forgetting that I had Dan and Jess reporting back to me.” 

“So you know that Ant told me about Oban, too?” 

“Of course, and I know he got it not from talking to Labelle but from figuring it out.  He did more than you have done in both missions.” 

“I’m not completely useless!” I said loudly.  Mr Grey blinked slowly and leaned forward on his chair.  The fact that he remained so emotionless made me even madder. 

“Prove it to me, Marley,” he said evenly.  “You can go to Scotland if Anthony doesn’t find your father in Vienna after eight days.” 

“When is Ant going to Vienna?” I asked in disbelief.  I had just gotten him back, and I was going to lose him again. 

“He leaves later today with Dillon.” 

“Who’s Dillon?” 

“An Expert who is almost ready to graduate,” Mr Grey replied. 

“Why Vienna?” 

“Your father was spotted there a day ago.”  I nodded slowly. 

“So eight days until I can go?” 

“If Anthony cannot find him, yes.” 

“Thank you,” I said, standing up. 

“Call Anthony in.”  I waved as I opened the door. 

I walked outside and sat down next to Ant on a couch.  He looked at me and frowned, clearly seeing the sadness in my eyes.  I couldn’t believe he was leaving again. 

“You’re leaving,” I sighed.  He nodded. 

“I know.” 

“How?” I spun around to face him. 

“I could just tell,” he said, standing up.  “I’ll come to your room when I’m done.” 

“Okay,” I mumbled as he walked into the office. 

I wondered slowly back to my room, taking my time as I walked through the quads.  Everyone would be in class until lunch which was in an hour.  I eventually got upstairs and a few minutes after I arrived, Ant knocked on the door.  He looked frustrated and irritable, so I let him slam the door and pace up and down while he talked to me.