Chapter 3

A knock on the door woke me up.  I sat up and looked over to Ant’s bed, but it was empty.  Thinking it was just Ant at the door, I stood up to open it.  Quickly, thinking cautiously, I grabbed a gun Ant must have left on the kitchen counter and stood at the door.  The person outside clearly couldn’t see me because he knocked again, much louder, and sighed in frustration.  As I was about to turn the doorknob, the door was kicked inside. 

Wood flew into my face and splintered my arms as I dropped my gun and threw my arms up to protect my eyes.  As soon as that happened I knew it was not Ant at the door.  I cursed and scanned the floor for my gun, but it was out of sight.  I looked up and gasped as I saw a man lunging towards me.  I dodged him to the side but he recovered quickly and turned around, hitting me in the face unexpectedly.  I fell against the wall, clutching my bleeding cheek.  As I stood against the wall, three more men entered and grabbed me, dragging me out of the room and into the parking lot.  I screamed with fright, fear completely taking over my body. 

I was screaming Ant’s name, but as I looked around I saw him lying dead on the gravel.  Next to him I could clearly see Dave and Paula’s bodies too.  Complete and utter anguish came over me, causing me to burst into tears and cry as loudly as I could. 

“Marley!” I heard someone shout in the distance suddenly.  I looked up from being dragged away and saw nothing, but then I heard it again. 

Marley!” 

I sat up, gasping for breath.  I looked up and saw Ant standing over me.  The lights were all on and he was holding a gun tightly in his hand.  His eyes were wide with alarm. 

I was breathing heavily and my heart was racing; I still felt panic flowing through my veins from the dream. 

“Sorry,” I said, feeling a sudden wave of emotion run through me.  Tears started flowing down my cheeks and I was soon taking short, staggered breaths.  Ant laid the gun on the table and sat down next to me, wrapping me up in his arms. 

“Everything’s fine, Marley,” he said so gently, rubbing his hand up and down my back. 

I cried loudly and pathetically into his chest for what seemed like ages before I finally calmed down and wiped my eyes.  I looked up at his sorry eyes and wanted to start crying again, so instead I buried my head into his chest once more and closed my eyes. 

“I think it’s sunk in now,” I whispered, my throat still burning.  Ant gave a small chuckle and then squeezed me quickly. 

“Don’t worry,” he said. 

I lifted my head up and looked at him, not caring if I started crying again.  I knew I must have looked like a tomato with bright red cheeks and swollen eyes, but I didn’t care.  

“What time is it?” I asked. 

“It’s about four,” he replied. 

“What time are we going to leave?”

“Do you want to leave now?”  I paused. 

“Don’t you want to get some more sleep?” 

“I don’t think I’ll get anymore sleep to be honest,” he laughed softly. 

“Are you sure?” I asked.   “I don’t mind leaving when you want to.” 

“I want to leave now,” he said, standing up and holding out his hands. 

“Promise?” I asked, allowing Ant to pull me up and into his arms. 

He nodded quickly and looked down at me.  His arms were wrapped around the bottom of my back and mine were locked around his neck.  I smiled quickly and tried to look away, but I felt I couldn’t.  His blue eyes were keeping mine fixed on his.  He started to lean down with our eyes still locked.  As his lips met mine, I closed my eyes and kissed him back.  He pulled my closer towards him so that my body was pressed up against his.