Chapter 22

My body went completely numb and I stopped breathing.  Why was he here?  Why was he at my graduation?  Why did he look so at ease?  Why had no one else seen him? 

I looked at Mr Grey and saw his mouth moving, bet every sound in the room had suddenly been droned out.  All I could hear was the blood pumping in my ears and my heart steadily picking up speed.  I looked back at the people in front of me to see that they had all started leaving the hall.  And I couldn’t see Labelle anywhere. 

“Anthony!” I yelled, jumping off the stage and racing over to him.  He saw my pale face and wild-eyed expression and held me tightly by my shoulders. 

“What’s wrong?” he asked calmly. 

“Labelle is here!” I yelled.  His face drained of colour and suddenly he was all business. 

He took my hand and walked me over to Mr Grey.  Without letting go of my hand, he whispered in his dad’s ear.  Mr Grey’s smile faded and he looked at me in alarm before summoning Ryan, my dad, Jamie and Carter. 

“Labelle is here apparently,” he said softly.  “Everyone spread out and find him.” 

Ant took my hand and dragged me away as the others all nodded grimly and went to find the assassin.  Ant walked me out of the hall and towards the dormitories before pushing me into a classroom.  My math teacher’s classroom. 

“What are you doing?” I demanded. 

“Watch the door,” he ordered me, walking over to his desk and opening the draws. 

“What are you doing?” I repeated. 

He ignored me and carried on shuffling things around.  I sighed and looked out of the crack in the door to see if anyone was coming. 

“Let’s go,” Ant said, putting a hand on my lower back and ushering me out of the room. 

“What did you do?” I asked.  He pushed a cold, metal something into my hand and I glanced down to see a shining silver gun with my pale hands gripped over it. 

I looked at Ant and nodded.  His face was serious and grim, so he only gave a brisk nod before we walked down the empty corridor.  We turned left at the end, heading towards the language classrooms, when I heard a sound. 

“You might as well put the guns down.”  I spun around with my gun raised, expecting to see Labelle, but instead I simply saw my dad staring at us. 

“Why?” I asked, lowering my arm. 

“Labelle is in the forest,” he said.  “Jamie just checked all the cameras and he’s there, so everyone is going to search for him there.  You two must go to Mr Grey’s office.” 

“Why?  I’m coming,” said Ant.  My dad shook his head. 

“No, it will be safe for you two there.” 

“I just graduated,” I argued.  “I’m coming and so is Ant.” 

“Marley,” my dad boomed.  “It is too dangerous for you two to go, so just go wait in Mr Grey’s office with Ryan.” 

“Why is it so dangerous?” Ant asked, purely curiously. 

“Because he’s got a bomb,” my dad said softly.  Ant’s grip on my hand tightened and he nodded. 

“Come, Marley,” he mumbled. 

I was left with no other option then being led back through the corridors and to Mr Grey’s office.  The quads and roads and fields all looked white.  I froze; it was the first time it had snowed while I had been in England.  Suddenly I got really cold.  But I ignored that and instead concentrated Ant.  He was looking grave and dismal as he walked quickly over the gravel and to the small building.  As we entered Mr Grey’s office, we saw Ryan jump up, alarm all over his face.