Chapter 6

“I think you’re mistaken; my dad died fifteen years ago,” I said, not turning around. 

“Then why have I met him?  Why was he in Mr Grey’s office this afternoon?  Why is he-” 

“Why are you telling me this?” I yelled, spinning around and screaming into his face.  “Why don’t you just tell Mr Grey I’m not ready, go on the mission yourself and move up a rank like you want?  Why do you have to make up lies?  Why can’t you just stay out of this?”  Tears of anger and confusion started to fall down my cheeks but I ignored them. 

“I’m not lying,” he said softly, taking a step towards me.  “Marley, I’m trying to help you, please just listen to me.” 

“You’ve told me enough, thanks,” I said sarcastically.  “I’m going to get changed, tell Mr Simpson I fell and cut my leg so I’m going to sort it out.” 

“Marley, don’t leave,” Ryan said, taking my wrist.  “Please, listen to me.  Please.” 

“You’ve got a minute,” I whispered, not turning around. 

“Mr Grey called me in and there was a man sitting in his office already.  I didn’t know who he was, but I could tell by Mr Grey’s behaviour that he was important.  He asked me questions about you and how you were managing and I told them that you were doing perfectly, like you had been here all your life.  Mr Grey then told me your whole story. 

“The man whispered something about pride and how he knew you could do it, so I asked who he was.  He said his name was George Jones and that he worked for some guy named Stan.  So, after they had finished questioning me about you, they asked me if I was ready for my final mission.  I said I was more than ready.  They asked if I would do it with you.  I said absolutely. 

“After that, they sent me out again.  I went to Ms Collins and asked who Mr Jones really was and she said it was confidential and something about risky decisions, so I asked her why he was here.  She said it was also confidential and that the only thing she could tell me was that visitors like him only came unless it was serious. 

“After lunch I did a bit of research myself and found out who Mr Jones really was, and discovered he used to be the best undercover agent in the world until he was assassinated.  Of course, I put everything together soon after that.  Now do you believe me?” 

I stood still, not daring to move any part of my body.  I took short, staggered breaths and tried to let the information sink in, but it just wouldn’t.  The thought of my dad, my real dad, being on the same grounds as me shocked me more than anything else.  Stan had lied, Ant had lied, and Ryan had told the truth.  Why? 

“Why are you telling me this?” I whispered. 

“You needed to know,” he said.  “How are you feeling?” 

“I have no idea,” I replied.  Ryan wrapped me up into a tight embrace and I managed to get a hold of my emotions and not cry, although the lump in my throat refused to subside.  I heard the whistle go off in the distance and Ryan told me we had to leave.  I nodded and we walked in silence back to the clearing as if nothing at happened. 

I was sitting in my communications class, the last lesson of the day, when there was a knock on the door.  I had learned during my short time at Blackwood that a knock in the middle of a class meant either one of two things; it was some sort of a test or Mr Grey needed to see someone.  That day it happened to be the second one. 

“Mr Grey would like to see Marley Parker,” said Ms Collins, standing in the doorway.  Ms Main nodded at me and I packed my things quickly before leaving the class, hearing ‘oh’s’ and muffled whispers.  Before I left I sneaked a glance at Ryan who was frowning in concern.