Chapter 15

“What the hell are you talking about?” I demanded, jumping up.  I heard my chair crash into the ground behind me but I ignored it. 

“Your dad used to work at MI6, training new employees as they came in,” Carter said slowly.  “I was one of those new guys and he was like my mentor.” 

“So you don’t work for Labelle?  Because it seems like everyone I meet is working with him,” I mumbled.  I heard Jamie laugh from the kitchen. 

“No ways, Carter would never work for him.” 

“Are you sure?”  A dark look passed over Carter as I looked at him again, but quickly it was gone and he was shaking his head. 

“Don’t worry, Marley, you can trust us,” Carter smiled.  Jamie returned to the table and sat down, clearly finished with cooking. 

“Yeah, and we can trust you,” he smiled too. 

“Unless she’s secretly evil,” Carter said quickly, frowning. 

“You know, I also had that suspicion,” Jamie narrowed his eyes.  “No good person can have hair that nice.” 

“And no good person would eat four pancakes.” 

“I think we should kick her out on the street.”  Carter nodded in agreement and they both turned to look at me. 

“Sorry, Marley, but you have to leave,” Carter informed me, a fake sadness on his face.  I rolled my eyes and threw a pancake at him.  Jamie laughed and dipped his figure in the honey before swiping it across Carter’s nose. 

“Enough,” Carter said, standing up.  “I just got a facial.” 

This caused Jamie and me to pack up laughing at him.  I gripped my stomach and felt tears streaming down my face, but it felt so nice to be able to have a good laugh after everything that had happened.  I sat up, wiped the tears from my eyes, and looked at the boys in front of me. 

“But Carter, how can you really help me get my dad?” I asked, leaning forward on my elbows. 

“No elbows on the table,” Jamie shunned, pushing them off.  Carter sniggered and looked back at me. 

“Because I have a secret,” he said.  I inwardly whimpered. 

“What now?” I sighed. 

“I can get into Labelle’s company as easily as you can get into Anthony’s pants.”  I blushed heavily as Jamie laughed, but Carter stayed dead serious. 

“How?” I mumbled, still with burning cheeks. 

“Because Labelle is my dad.”  I literally felt my jaw drop to the ground. 

What?” 

“Yes, but I hate the man,” he assured me.  “However, he very clearly told me that whenever I wanted to come and speak to him I could, so that’s how we get in there.” 

“Are you sure he would let you just talk to him?  I mean, surely he knows how we’re linked.” 

“I’m sure he does, but he’s my father and he’s a reasonable man,” Carter shrugged.  “It’s one of his better qualities.” 

“One of his only better qualities,” Jamie muttered. 

“At least he has a good quality,” Carter teased. 

“Um, excuse me, who just baked these delicious pancakes?” 

“True, at least you’re good for something.”  Jamie rolled his eyes at his boyfriend and I smiled.  These boys had made me feel so much better.