Chapter 3

Haven, Underworld
        Artemis stepped out of the hotshot, feeling more than a little queasy. Hotshots were little pods that rode on top of magma flares, and they jostled you around like heaven couldn't help you now. At least, that's what Mulch Diggums said. They had picked up the little dwarf in the unloading area because he had said he was invited to the meeting, too. Artemis wasn't so sure about that but another thief couldn't hurt.
          "Artemis, it's 3:58!" Butler said urgently. Artemis groaned. These idiotic streets were so crowded! At 4:00 exactly they made it inside Police Plaza, where Rain Vinyaya, Foaly, and Holly Short were all sitting.
        "You brought the convict," Foaly commented.
         "He begged," Artemis shrugged. Mulch glared, but didn't say anything. Begged. Please.
         "Anyway, Centaur, I'm not a convict anymore," Mulch said. Commander Vinyaya held up her hands.
          "Stop," she said firmly, "We have important things to discuss. Foaly, give us all the latest updates on our situation."
          "Wait," Holly interrupted, "What even is the situation? No one's told me yet."
         "There has been a rebellion-"
           "With the gnomes?"
           "No, much more serious. With the trolls. No one knows why or how. Trolls are so stupid, but they've outmaneuvered us all the way. We can't round them up," Vinyaya explained. Holly looked murderous,
         "And no one TOLD ME!!!!!"
         "Holly, calm yourself," Artemis interceded. He then turned to Foaly. "Well? Anything else?"
          "The goblins are starting to get edgy. And everyone is focused on the gnomes instead of the trolls. Anyone who can get the gnomes and the trolls to cooperate is a miracle!"
          "And a curse," Butler added. They all fell silent.
           "Maybe it's a coincidence," Mulch suggested.
             "It's no coincidence," Artemis said gravely. Foaly nodded.
            "Do you know who this sounds like?" he said. "It sounds like Opal Koboi."
           "But I thought she was gone!" Mulch protested.
          "We saw her body, ran tests, and found Nopal's body," Holly insisted, "It's not her, for sure."
         "Perhaps someone is carrying on her task," Artemis said, "Any ideas?"
       Nobody answered. Artemis sighed.
        "I guess I have to find out then."