Chapter 12

Only a confession would do.
"I have been communicating with Trouble," Artemis admitted, "I lost contact a few weeks away. I traced his signal to Berlin."
"So he's not here?!?" Holly exclaimed in outrage.
"He said he was going to be moved, but Opal was smart enough to make sure that Trouble couldn't communicate," Artemis continued, "Trouble would... not still be in Germany. I was hoping to find a clue here without telling you all of the correspondence."
"That's why you were so reluctant to help the People," Butler said, realization dawning. Vinyaya said nothing, only glared. Artemis got the impression that she was not surprised by the betrayal.
"There might still be a clue," a voice spoke up. The others looked over in surprise. In the 'excitement' they had forgotten all about Mulch Diggums who had, apparently, been inspecting a crack in the wall.
"This isn't an ordinary seam," Mulch said, "I've covered up enough tunnels to know a secret underground passage when I see one."
"We have to follow it," Trinity said softly. "It may be our only hope."
"I agree," Vinyaya said. "And I am the commander."
Artemis groaned. He did not want to crawl through an underground tunnel. But Mulch has already begun to gulp loads of dirt with his mouth. After a quick dislodging of wall, he re-hinged his jaw and they all peered around him. There was a dark, low passageway, which the group began to trek through. Once Mulch... resealed... the tunnel, it was pitch black. Holly and Vinyaya switched on their helmet lights and Foaly's screen glowed dimly. There was still not enough light and Artemis kept bumping into the wall and lose rocks.
"Ouch!" He said for the millionth time. Holly laughed, every single time, and Mulch snorted as well. Only Foaly was sympathetic. And, of course, Artemis was the one to slam into the final wall, the ending barrier. Mulch ate that, too. Stumbling into the light was highly painful on Artemis' retinas, but it was worth it.
They were there. In the main computer room.