Chapter 16

"I can't believe we're abandoning Trouble," Holly sighed, "Let's go find these annoying college grads."
    Artemis smiled in triumph but stopped quickly when he noticed Holly's glare.
    "Foaly, can you download a copy of the important files onto your computer?" Artemis asked.
    "Way ahead of you, Fowl," Foaly grinned, "The entire map of the maze is at my fingertips."
    "Good," Vinyaya said, "Then guide us."
    "First let me disable Opal's cameras so that she can't track you anymore," Foaly said. The two cameras in the room simultaneously swiveled down.
    They headed back out the tunnel, sneaking through boundless corridors. The occasional direction pointed them towards the two students, until finally they reached the wrought iron door.
   "Once we open this door, Almeda will know what we're up to," Artemis warned.
    "Good," Holly said grimly. She blasted the door open. There sat two young sprites, bound and gagged. Behind them, Almeda stood, smirking.
    "On the contrary," she said, "I always knew exactly what you were doing."
    Artemis felt a tiny dart hit him, and could feel his vision falling. The last thing he saw was Holly collapsing and he remembered wishing he could help her. Then the world went black.

    He awoke to a pounding headache, and a feeling of guilt. If the others knew....but they didn't. He opened his eyes to a bright screen and he squinted. It appeared as though Almeda was FaceTiming the group in their cell.
    "Are you ready to hear my evil plan?" She asked mockingly, "I'm sorry to disappoint. I can only tell you that you can witness it from inside your filthy little jail ce-"
    A black cloth was wrapped around her mouth to muffle a scream and the screen went black.
    "It seems," Artemis said with a smirk, "Almeda's friends have caught up with her."
    Holly pointed at the two college students who were occupying space in the cell with the team.
    "Let's see if we can get any info from them - and then you can think of a brilliant plan of escape."
    "Holly," Artemis placed a hand on her arm, and spoke low enough that only she could hear him, "I'm truly sorry about Trouble. Lying about it."
   She looked at him earnestly, touching his cheek gently, "Oh, Artemis. It's always okay, you know. With you it's somehow always okay."