Part 1

You had heard the rumors of a monster who could somehow transmute himself into a large dragon-like skeleton thing. It did scare you a bit. But as far as you knew he never hurt anyone.

~~~*~~~

You had just had lunch with your best friend Josephine and now the two of you are walking to a park down the block to hang out. You chat until you reach the park. Even though you are seventeen and Josephine is sixteen, you two still like to come here. You used to come here all the time when you were kids.

You both sit down on a bench to continue your chat. A skeleton in a blue hoodie sits down a few benches over from where you are. You watch as a toddler walks over to him with a small white flower.

"I'd tell you a chemistry joke but I know I wouldn't get a reaction" the skeleton says to the toddler. You giggle a little. The skeleton looks up at you, letting his hoodie fall from his face and smiles.

"Looks like I got a reaction outa someone" he laughs.

The toddler's mother calls the kid away from the skeleton. Before they leave they give the skeleton the white flower. The skeleton looks down at the flower, his smile is still there, but his eyes seem dull.

"What's up with him?" Josephine whispers to you.

"I don't know..." You whisper back. "Hey, would you like to sit with us?" you say to the skeleton.

"What? y/n!" whispers Josephine, annoyed. You ignore her.

The skeleton seems to brighten up and says "okay, but I better warn you, I'm competing for that stair climbing competition." He shrugs, "Guess I better step up my game."

You smile at him trying not to giggle again. Josephine rolls her eyes.

"I'm y/n, and this is my friend Josephine" You say to the skeleton.

"Nice to meet you. Name's Sans." He says, sitting down next to you. Sans pulls his jacket tighter around himself. It makes you wonder if he's cold, but then again he's a skeleton so how could he feel temperature.

Your curiosity gets the better of you, "are you cold?" you ask.

"Huh? No." Sans says a little startled at your question. He smiles at you to try and make it seem like everything is okay, but there is still that dull look in his eyes. Maybe he just looks that way because he's a skeleton.

"Don't worry bout it kiddo" Sans says. He must have seen the way you were looking at him and thought you were worried. To be honest, you were worried, but you didn't know why. He was a monster, and you didn't know a lot about monsters.

"That kid seemed nice for giving you a flower" Josephine says, trying to make small talk.

"Heh, yeah" Sans spins the flower between his fingers. You could have sworn his smile faded for a split second before he glanced over at you and pasted a big smile on his face. You knew it was fake. Even if he wasn't a human you still knew something was wrong.

"Hey Sans . . ." You start. Sans faces you with a hum. "Is something wrong? I don't mean to be rude . . ."

Sans is quiet for a second. "Do you think you could . . . nah, never mind" Sans finally says in a quiet tone.

"Do I think what?" you ask. Josephine stares at Sans.

Sans hums, thinking to himself, then he says "do you think you could come again tomorrow?"

You check your calendar on your phone. "Yeah, sure. Why?" You tell Sans.

"I'd like to hang out again. That's all" Sans responds.

Josephine checks her calendar too and says "did you want me to come as well, cause I'm busy tomorrow."

"No, that's fine" Sans says with a shrug, then adds "hey, what time is it?"

"1:32" says Josephine.

"Welp, it was nice meeting you y/n and Josephine. I'll see you tomorrow then y/n, same time as today, okay?"

You nod. Sans waves goodbye and walks away.