Chapter 9

“Lilly, what did I tell you about being a follower?” Samantha asked, raising an eyebrow. I turned around to see the voice had come from Lilly. She scowled at Samantha before quickly changing the subject.

“So you’re planning on skipping math, I see. I don’t think the principal would be too happy about that.” Samantha rolled her eyes.

“Following rules? I swear I never heard Destany or Casey tell you that you’re allowed to. Finally grow a backbone? Wait, what am I thinking? That would be impossible!” Samantha laughed and Lilly pushed her out of the way so she could get by. I was about to kick her but I managed to restrain myself.

“She’s an asshole and look at who’s here.” She looked up and I saw the boy who was planning to ditch with Samantha walk past us. Victor, I think his name was. His sunglasses were still on and I rolled my eyes because of it.

“How long have you known him for,” I asked curiously. We were juniors, so three years was the minimum I expected her to say.

“I met him at the beginning of summer.” My eyes widened. They looked pretty close for people who’ve only known each other for two months.

“I went to summer school with him. Honestly, with this many people, it’s hard to keep track of who was in my class or not. I didn’t actually make conversation with him but I think we had English together in the 9th grade before he transferred out.”

I didn’t ask for the reason why. If she only truly knew him for such a short period of time, what were the chances that she would know? They were pretty slim.

“There’s Brett waiting by that locker. I’m going to go find Victor,” she said her goodbyes and I knew I wouldn’t be seeing her for the rest of the day. We didn’t have math at the same time.

“Hey Leighton!” Brett said cheerily. I grinned at him, happy to see that he was so happy. I thought he would be in despair. I mean he did just have French, his least favourite subject or something.

“Hi Brett! How was French class?” He groaned, finally showing his true feelings.

“Total torture. But I don’t want to talk about that now. It’s lunchtime and I’m starving.” I was about to turn the dial to my locker before he just pulled it open himself. For a moment, I thought I had forgotten to lock it this morning so that someone could easily break into it, but then I remembered I had given Brett my combination.

“Cute,” I told him sarcastically.

“I know I am, but Leighton, please, there are people here.” I laughed at his cocky comment before pulling out my lunch and shoving my books into my locker.

“Hey, there you two are!” Bruin quickly came up to us, giving Brett that stupid guy handshake thing. Actually, it looked way more complicated than the regular half hug, shoulder bump thing. It created a little rhythm.

“You guys are losers,” I informed them.

Brett rolled his eyes at me. “You’re just jealous because you don’t have a best friend like Bruin.”

“Yeah!” he agreed. “You’re just jealous of me.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Brett started before Bruin cut him off again.

“But who really listens to you? Besides, I’m starving. Let’s go eat already!” Yep, he was definitely Brett’s best friend.

“Where’s Samantha?” asked Bruin as he handed the door to Brett. Well not literally, but he held it open, which he took hold of and I slipped in between the both of them. Ha, I don’t have to hold the door anymore!