Chapter 13

It's been another two long days without seeing Emma but our date is finally tonight. I sat at work until lunch this morning before deciding I couldn't concentrate on getting any work done. I cut the day short to head to the grocery store and pick up the ingredients for dinner tonight.

I finished my shopping and just as I was loading my groceries into the car, I was startled by the voice that approached me.

"Hi ma'am."

I jumped a little in surprise before turning to face the person speaking. "Hello, you are?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh right. I'm Neal Cassidy. I just got into town. I was just looking for someone and I was hoping you could help me." He smiled and stuck his hand out for me to take.

I looked the man up and down. It's not very often that we get strangers in this town. "Regina Mills." I said reaching my hand out to meet his. "Who are you looking for?"

He shook my hand and held on a little longer than necessary. "Emma Swan."

I stared for a moment, not answering before he cleared his throat. "Sheriff Swan can be found at the sheriff station since she is on duty. But I wouldn't advise you to go and disturb the woman while she's working."

He started with a smile but it somewhat faded to a straight face as I spoke. "I'm sure she'd had time to squeeze me in. Is there anywhere I could pick up some food on my way there?"

I placed the rest of my groceries in the trunk before slamming it shut. "As I said before Mr. Casedy, it would be ill advised to visit the sheriff for personal reasons while on duty." I finished before getting into my car and driving to the station myself.

I found myself feeling strange for the way I'd acting toward the stranger a few moments ago. I obviously didn't know him, nor what his relationship was with the blonde. Why was I acting so possessive? She isn't mine. We've only been on a few dates. And either way he seemed to be looking for a friend.

I pulled up to the station and sighed as I stared at the door feeling bad for my previous reaction. I huffed a little as I grabbed my purse and walked into Emma's office.

"Regina?" She questioned smiling. "What are you doing here?"

I approached her smiling back and she placed a light kiss on my cheek. The butterflies in my stomach made me once again question my actions earlier.

"I actually took a half day so that I could get everything prepared for tonight for our date."

Emma's smile never faltered. "Can I ask what we're having or is it a surprise?" She asked excitedly.

"You'll have to wait and see dear." We both kept our eyes locked. "But I stopped to let you know that I believe I ran into a friend of yours at the grocery store. A man named Neal Cassidy stopped me asking where he could find you."

I watched the smile fall from her lips and her face drain of the color. She didn't say anything. "Emma?" I questioned grabbing both of her hands in mine. "Sorry. I'm fine. Uh.. Did you tell him where I am?"

I arched an eyebrow at her strange behavior. "I did tell him you were here but I also said not to interrupt your work day." Emma smiled a little bit but my face remained straight.

"Don't interrupt my work sort of like you're doing right now?" She swung our attached hands a little bit. I tried to not laugh but I couldn't stop myself.