Chapter 17

In the middle of the connecting bridge, Pitch stood tall with his fists clenched at his side. He glared at his opponents as they dispatched the last of the guards. Sandman's cloud burst and disappeared as soon as he touched the dusty road. Although he wasn't even sweating, the flower girl stood panting beside him. Both of them stared right into Pitch's eyes.

The girl stepped over the body directly in front of her and stood proudly. She called out the name the Guardians had given her. "Pitch," she called breathlessly, "you've terrorized the people of Corona, Scotland, and Berk, but now you must stop. We only want peace in our lands." Rapunzel squared her shoulders, her breath under control now. "Make a truce with us and avoid the bloodshed of your soldiers." At this request, the Vineyard and Orchard workers spilled out of the woods and filled the road behind and the grass beside the negotiators. Hiccup came to the front with his sword drawn.

Pitch almost scoffed in contempt. He had already seen the troops when they had been trying to hide in the woods. He would have taken control of all of their forces if they had been true warriors. But no matter how much the citizens tried to look intimidating, Pitch could see that they were no match for the trained soldiers on his side. He telepathically called to the soldiers patrolling the city and watching the battle in the prison. They would be here shortly.

"You think your pathetic forces are anything compared to me?" Pitch held up his hands, an ink sphere in each. The workers retreated a few steps when they saw his power. One corner of Pitch's mouth turned up, and he looked meaningfully at Rapunzel. "I can destroy you in a second."

Rapunzel remembered the time in the prison kitchen when he had grabbed her and then thrown her away. He can't touch me. "But you won't." She narrowed her eyes defiantly at him, hoping to keep his attention off Jack sneaking around the south side of the island, heading for the supply boats on the far side.

Pitch doused his ink spheres, startled that she had called his bluff. Just then, he heard the sound of marching feet. Grinning and crossing his arms, Pitch waited as the Coronan, Berkian, and Scottish soldiers marched up behind him, weapons drawn. Again, he saw the workers blanch in terror.

"You foolishly collected all of your forces in one place. Now, the last rebellious force against me will perish." He transformed into a shadow. At that signal, his soldiers shouted and charged across the bridge.

Hiccup gave his own shout, encouraging his followers to yell their battle cries, but none charged. When Pitch's army had almost reached the shore, North's sleigh swooped down over the bridge. Bunny, crouched in the back seat, rapidly threw down five egg bombs at the charging soldiers. Pastel colors of pink, blue, and green burst into the air, completely concealing half the bridge. Those who weren't knocked unconscious or into the water by the blast had their throats and eyes filled with stinging powder. Charging soldiers not affected by the explosions still had to stop because of the soldiers coughing and hacking on the bridge.

North yelled in glee. "Fantastic! Great aim, Bu – !"

Bunny crouched low, holding tightly to the bannister. "Just turn back around! I can't believe you got me up here! Rabbits were never meant to fly!"

Meanwhile, Jack arrived at the far side of the island where boats received supplies from the castle. Some ships were anchored on the beach, but others idled further out in the water. Quickly, the winter spirit zipped in and circled the base of the closest ship, freezing the water. He dashed to the next and the next, freezing the entire fleet. As he moved on to the ships docked next to the prison, Jack grinned. Now no help could come from the sea.