Chapter 21

After the Wesel ships had departed, the Berkians came to accept that dragons were friendly. Only a year after the alpha dragon's death, wild dragons were becoming tame and were living with the Vikings on Berk. Better yet, Stoick was able to finally forgive his son for keeping the secret dragon.

Much to Queen Elinor's dismay, Merida became the unofficial Scottish ambassador to the Vikings, visiting when she could. Her visits became more frequent when she found her own dragon: a Polar Serpent.

These solid white dragons are rare because they're found only in the Polar Islands far north. They dislike outsiders and come with a strong will, almost refusing to be tamed. Undeterred, Merida showed one of the Serpents who was boss. She loved not only the creature's fiery temper, but also its ice-breathing powers and great speed. Although Hiccup would never admit it, Merida was sure her lithe dragon was faster than any other dragon, including a Night Fury.

Merida spent plenty of time with Hiccup and his friends as they explored the islands and discovered new dragons. As time passed, she found herself growing fonder of Hiccup. She thought he felt the same way when he recreated the capped quiver he had made in Corona. Merida was grateful, but soon found the quiver awkward and inefficient. Hiccup tried again and again with different designs, but nothing worked. The redhead had to take him by the shoulders and make him understand that sometimes an invention of his didn't work.

For the first time in her life, Merida fell in love. She loved Hiccup's determination, spirit, and easy-going manner. The only problem was Astrid. After the adventure down south, Astrid was paying more attention to Hiccup. This greatly bothered Merida, especially since Astrid lived in the same place as Hiccup did. It didn't help her anxiety when she once saw Astrid quickly kissing Hiccup. After her jealousy had abated slightly, Merida realized she had never seen Hiccup kissing Astrid. This thought gave her some hope.

Around the time Arendelle was celebrating its fifth anniversary, Merida ran out to the courtyard where her Polar Serpent lay sleeping. She pulled on her fingerless, elbow-length, leather gloves over her green long-sleeved shirt. "Come on, Kynan," she called cheerfully to her dragon. "Move yourself."

Kynan's bright blue eyes flew open. At his rider's greeting, his head rose on the end of his long neck. He crooned pleasantly at her. Merida chuckled and shook her head. Polar Serpents could be bitter creatures, but once one of them accepted you, they could be fun.

"That's my good lad." The sails behind his head stood up when she drew near. He lowered his head and nudged her Dunbroch sash draped across her torso. "No," Merida chuckled and pushed him away. "I fed you earlier."

Annoyed, Kynan lowered his sails and snorted in Merida's face. "Hey!" She pointed a finger at his long muzzle. "Don't be that way!" she scolded. The princess moved around behind her dragon where his saddle was waiting on its stand. "We have a race today."

At the word "race," Kynan's sails stood up again, and the dragon eagerly stomped his feet, hardly able to wait to go flying again. The sail ridges running the length of his neck and long tail opened and closed excitedly. The dragon held still when Merida plopped the saddle on his smooth back. She reached under Kynan's belly and buckled the rear saddle straps; then, she passed Kynan's winged shoulders and buckled the front saddle strap around his neck.

"Merida," Queen Elinor called, quickly crossing the courtyard.

"Please, Mum. I know what you're gonna say."

"Oh, do you?" Queen Elinor smiled confidently as she stood by Kynan's neck.

Merida paused for a moment. "Aren't you goin' to tell me to not fly in the games?"