When the Water Dries Up

Chapter 18: When the Water Dries Up

John unsure as to what Mizu’s next move would be. For almost a minute they have been contemplating the next move. But unknown to John this was part of his plan to make him wait in the hot sun.

John was starting to go against Balian’s wishes and take off the jacket before it was time. It would at least cool him off a bit. All this going through his head he was not paying attention to what was going on around him. As another impulse to wipe his brow came over him and when he tried he was shocked at what he felt. Grains of something were clinging to his forehead. Wiping some more he got enough to view the substance. It was small and white almost like sand. He lifted some of it on his index finger and tasted it. It tasted like salt; in fact he was sure it was salt. He then noticed the pool of sweat and blood in front of Mizu was now gone or dried up. Continuing his observation of the surroundings he noticed the blood around Mizu’s mouth and nose was also completely dry.

John’s eye went wide as he saw the tattoos on his arms were still glowing and finally all the pieces were coming together but it was too late. Mizu raised his left arm and quickly swung it downward. John looked up to see a spear of reddish liquid hovering about Mizu now launching towards him as if fired from a gun. John barely had time to react and moved towards his left. He was unfortunately not quick enough and the small spear stuck his shoulder. Fortunately the material of the heavy jacket was enough to prevent the full penetration through his shoulder. John instinctively grabbed the water weapon that was still solid and pulled it out letting off an annoyed grunt.

As things were going to plan Mizu rushed to John’s damaged side and thrust his hand at him with only the index and middle finger sticking out. John was caught off guard by this forward attack as Mizu had proven to be a less than formidable close range fighter. His fingers found their target which was the open wound that was left by the water spear. John was enraged over the pain it brought and swung his left fist into Mizu’s side bringing out a yelp of pain and he was sure he broke a few bones. Mizu bit back the pain and continued to bore his fingers into the wound.

John was about to unleash another blow when he felt his whole body jerk with an indefinable pain. It wasn’t like a stab wound or a punch, it was more like something or someone was pulling out his internal parts out.

John was not far from the truth as Mizu’s words struck home.

“If I cannot get the water I need to defeat you around me, then I will have to go to another source.” He said with a soft voice in his unique accent.

John was filled with a moment of fear as droplets of water stained with blood started to bubble up and float above Mizu’s head. It was beautiful and vile as John’s own bodily fluid was being forced out of his body through the wound. At this rate, he was sure he would dehydrate in a minute or less. His body burned from the inside out as the fluids continued to drain out of him.

Yui was almost pressing herself against the force field that separated the crowd from the arena. Her face was filled with worry over her friend.

The more the attack went on the more he could feel his strength leaving him. He could tell that in a few minutes or even less his body would go into shock and the fight would be over. He was sure he had less time with the already being in this weather. The muscles in his body were burning and did not want to move but John pushed through the pain and his left fist found Mizu’s ribs again and again like a jack hammer. He was putting all his body would allow him to in hopes of breaking the attack.

Blood and other liquids continued to drain from his wound and flowed into a ball forming over their heads. His vision was getting blurry and his mouth was dry. Mizu was fighting the punishment John was giving him like a professional. Over and over again he drove his punches in his side. The resistance of his ribs had ceased and he was fearful he might have broken them all on his side. One more grand punch drove unopposed and everything went light. Blood spewed from Mizu’s mouth and he started to shake like he was having a seizure. John was in no better shape as shock over took him. Mizu removed his fingers John’s wound and finally John could collapse with Mizu not far behind.

Some of the crowd was cheering where others were genuinely concerned over their safety. Both now lay on the ground unmoving. The ball of liquid that once hung over them like a ornament collapsed and the collection of fluids fell like a waterfall of biological waste. Crashing down on the two John quickly sprang to life holding his throat and trying to move. Mizu was still.

“Alright people remain calm; the judges are on their way as are the medical teams.” The announcer tried to let the people know things were under control.

John remembered little of what happened next but he was lifted up on a stretcher and taken out of the ring.

Yui watched as he was carried off but Mizu remained still. They were checking vitals and the Med-Tech was using a scanner to look into the body. As professional as they could be they gave off a sense of panic and yelled for another member to move over. This one was wearing a medical uniform but had strange symbols on the back of his jacket.

He placed both hands out and his partner radioed for someone. Once he received what he needed. The man turned to the strangely dressed man and nodded.  The man’s hands glowed a bright green and a circle appeared on the ground in front of him. Weaving of runic symbols started to fill up the circle and once it was done he yelled something to the men over Mizu.

“It was a teleportation spell!” Yui thought.

These spells were hard to create much less use. But if two people who were in tune with each other could open up partial gateways from one location to the other. She was sure this was what was going on.

The three men carrying Mizu stood in the circle and the circle erupted with light and the four of them were gone.

The teleporter leaned forward, his face covered with sweat. It must be a very intense spell to cast. Yui then looked around and started towards the exit. She needed to know if John was okay but was sure they were not going to let her into the hospital area until he was cleared. Yui decided she would go check on Crichton’s fight.

Fighting through the crowd she entered the skywalk to the next arena.