Eleven

Sam

"What? Okay, I'm pretty sure you're cheating!"

"Nuh-uh, you just suck," I stuck my tongue out at him.

He laughed. "You're like a child, Sam."

I rolled my eyes and focused on the game.

The two of us stayed quiet after that, too concentrated on the game.

I felt a little awkward, so I tried to start a conversation. Knowing me though, the conversation would probably end up making things even more awkward.

"So, uh, Luke, do you really think our stupid plan is gonna work?"

Luke sighed and paused the game, turning to look at me. "Of course I do, Sam."

He didn't say anything else.

"But, Michael probably doesn't even like me."

"And how, may I ask, are you so sure?"

"I just am. There's nothing really special about me. He could have anyone else."

"Nothing special about you?" He said in a questioning voice. "Nothing at all special about you?"

"Well yes, I've established that. Can you please stop rubbing it in please?" I said pausing the game and looking at him with raised eyebrows.

"No! Oh my God, you really think there's nothing special about a girl like you?"

"I mean...I'm smart? Um yeah that's pretty much it." I sighed.

"Well you may got the book smarts but not much else." Luke shrugged his shoulders.

"Um...Rude," I said throwing a pillow at him, "Explain yourself, Hemmings."

"You really are oblivious aren't you." He said while rubbing his temples.

"Well I don't know...but hurry up! I have to leave soon. "

"Okay let me ask you something, Samantha Jones. Have you seen how half the boys at school look at you?"

"No, how? "

"Have you ever seen how some girls look at you and envy you?"

"No girls envy me. Why would they?"

"Yes they do! Some even wanna date you but you seem way out of their league."

"I'm not out of anyone's league what are you going on about?"

"Samantha Jones, you are one of the most extraordinary girls at school. You're not perfect but that makes you better in a way. You walk around being stuck in your own little world up there." He said tapping the side of my head."You capture people's interest, you're not what most people would consider beautiful yet you're still one of the hottest girls in school. People think you're beautiful for who you really are and not just your outer beauty. Your color and style changing hair makes you stand out of try hard girls at school. Those girls that dress for attention envy you cause guys pay more attention to you. You have your own style. You're not like the girls at school. So yes there is something special about you. All of you." He finished holding my head in his hands.

I quickly jumped into his arms, tears stinging my eyes. "No one's ever said something like that to me."

He held me tighter. "Then I'm happy I at least did." He said and then kissed my forehead. "You're wonderful, Sam, please never forget that."

"I'll try not to." I sniffled.

My phone dinged and I looked away from Luke.

Mama: I'm outside Sam