Chapter 1- Danger Prone

Chapter 1-Danger Prone

Nikki

"I am going to walk to the store and pick up a few things, ok?" my sister asked.

"Okay, but hurry up! I don't like being alone," I replied.

She briskly walked out the door. As soon as the door shut behind her, I turned and ran up the stairs to look out of floor-to-ceiling windows. There she walked out the front yard out onto the street crossing the road. I watched as she turned to walk down a narrow alley, a shortcut, and out of sight.

My anxiety started to calm until a hooded person stepped out of the shadows and followed her. All I could make out of the figure was that he or she was tall, thin, and had red hair, a few strands had fallen out of the hood. I would have calmed myself down from my imagination , but the gun in the figure's hand sent me screaming down the stairs.

I tripped and shot my hands out at the last minute saving myself from a face plant. I froze. It was just too much I couldn't move. I was in shock while my sister was probable getting killed. Get it together Nikki! I shakily pulled myself up and walked to the kitchen which held the closest phone.

As I approached the phone, I heard frantic knocking on the door. I jumped and ran to the door, peeking out the window. There was my sister. Thank goodness! I quickly let her in and slammed the door shut, locking the door securely.

"Are you alright, Bells?" I asked. She was a mess, huffing and puffing. Then she started laughing hysterically in front of me like a demented demon.

"Of course I'm alright Niks. Why wouldn't I be?" she replied with a crazy glint in her eye. This was scaring me. There's just some things that a 10 year old shouldn't see her 16 year old sister do and this was in the top five. "Come here, sis. Give good ol' Isabella a hug."

I started backing away towards the stairs as she advanced. I turned and dashed up the stairs and into my room. I locked the door behind me and dived under the bed. I heard a creepy knock on my bedroom door. "Nikki? Nikki?" my sister called. She sounded like she was back to normal, but I wasn't taking any chances. When I didn't answer, a huge bang rang across the room vibrating me. "What have I done?" I heard her mutter to herself. "Look I'm sorry Nikki. I don't know what came over me. I was just scared. I was almost killed today."

"I know I saw a figure follow you with a gun. I was just about to call 9-1-1 when you came back." came my muffled answer.

"You saw?"

"Yeah."

"Oh. Well, I'm okay now. Can you let me in?"

"No. You scared me Bella. Go call the police or something and report the incident."

"Okay. I guess you're right..." She sounded a bit hurt. "Sorry I scared you Niks."

"It's okay. Now go call 9-1-1."

"Fine."

After that indicent, things became normal again, but then again I guess our normal had changed. The person who had attacked Bella was never caught, but Bella kept getting herself into life and death situations. Somehow she always managed to get away, but one day when I was 15, she never came home. I couldn't let her be on her own, kiddnapped. I knew too many things, too many secrets. I had to do something as her sister. I had to protect her. It's my duty. I was going to find her and there was nothing that was going to stand in my way, not even Death itself.