Chapter 9-Taking My Shirt Off Proves Angels Are Stupid

Chapter 9-Taking My Shirt Off Proves Angels Are Stupid  

Logan

Nikki started to glow. The violet glow lifted her into the air. Nikki looked down on me. Her eyes had become a whirpool of yellow, red, and black. Her arms gave off a harsh orange light.

Great, I thought to myself. I just vexed the Protector and I didn't even know it!  

I looked at Kristin, asking her to help me with my eyes, but she seemed petrified. I didn't blame her. The violet glow scattered away from the Protector as if it had been swept away by the wind. 

Nikki's eyes still contained the maelstrom of red, yellow, and black. The orange glow had faded from her left arm and remained in a swirling tatto on her right arm, churning in a raging thunderstorm. Her left arm also had a swirling tatto, but it glowed a soft turquoise-blue. The image gave an impression of the sea and the way it rolled on her arm made it look like the wind was blowing softly on it.

  "Um... Nikki? Are you still there?" I asked warily. 

"I am not Nikki! I am the Protector!" she screamed.

"Apologize!" Kristin hissed at me.

I glanced at Kristin to see if she was joking. She wasn't. "Sorry?" I said puzzled.

A wind started to swirl itself around the Protector and the ground started to shake.

"Not like that, you dummy! Do you want to die? Get on your knees and beg for forgiveness!" Kristin shouted with a scowl on her face.  

"I'm not going to that! That's degrading!" I  yelled back. A strong wind pushed me back and slammed me on the wall. "On second thought, that's exactly what I'm going to do!"

I plopped to the ground, clasped my hands together, and looked up to the Protector with my best puppy dog eyes.

"O, great Protector please grant mercy on my wretched soul! I never to meant to offend thee, for thy greatness deserves only the best! Please forgive me and leave me with my life!" I pleaded.

"Why? What use are you to me?" the Protector asked. Her voice was a mixture of Nikki's and someone's menacing, evil, deep voice. It gave me chills.

"I can provide any service to you that you ask of me in exchange for my life," I answered cautiously. 

"Very well," she said. "You may live, but be careful because I won't be as forgiving the next time."

In a flash, the shaking and wind had disappeared. The tattoos and whirlpool eyes had vanished as well. Nikki stood with her arms crossed, looking pretty irritated. "What'd you do?" Nikki asked.

"How should I know?" I asked exasperated.

She sighed. "Sorry. I just don't like her taking over. It's been happening more often and I just don't know why," Nikki explained. "Usually, she kills anyone who makes her angry. What'd you say to her to calm her down?" 

"I said I'd devote any service I can to her," I said gloomily. 

"Well, she won't know if I have or haven't!" I said cheering up. "Speaking of the Protector, why didn't you tell me? I would've liked some warning!"

"I was going to tell you when we came in. Plus, you hadn't even realized I knew who you were. By the way, I'm going to use that service you promised to the Protector..." she trailed.

"Wait, what?" I asked, only listening to the last part.

"First time the Protector came in handy," she said to herself. Her mind started to drift away.