Chapter 7- New Eyes

Chapter 7- New Eyes

Lady Galadriel had Haldir show us to our sleeping quarters a little after she and Celeborn spoke to us. Haldir led us down the staircase and back onto the ground where there was a large clearing and several pavilions far off in the distance. "You shall stay here for the night," Haldir nodded at the mallorn roots that had intertwined to make up a sort of hollow.

"Thank you, Haldir," Aragorn nodded. "This is very kind of your people."

I shot my brother a confused look as if to say: We're sleeping under a tree, Strider. Or haven't you noticed?

"I only do as my Lord and Lady request," he dipped his head toward our group. "Goodnight," he Elf muttered, walking back up the long, winding staircase.

I investigated the hallow to find fresh cots, pillows, blankets and food inside. I felt a pang of regret for the way I had previously addressed Haldir; after all, he had every right to be suspicious of us. I smiled softly, watching Pippin and Gimli fall into their beds in sheer exhaustion and fall asleep within seconds. If only I was as trusting as them.

I leisurely slipped out of my boots and bracers, thankful to finally take them off. I unbuckled my belt, taking my blades and knife off and laying them on my bed. My breastplate came off next, I fumbled with the strap for a moment before I was able to free myself of my armor. I was now left in my trousers and dirty, green blouse.

It had been three months since we had left Rivendell, and already my garments were beginning to show signs of age. I needed to find a new pair of clothes soon. I wandered outside of the hallow and into the clearing where some of the Fellowship sat.

Aragorn sat nearby, sharpening his sword and lost in his own thoughts while Frodo and Merry leaned back against the roots listening intently. "Aragorn?" I whispered, approaching my brother nervously.

He looked up, meeting my eyes softly. "Yes, Rayel?"

"Are you still angry at me?" I asked.

My brother smiled sadly, "No, I am not mad at you. I never could stay cross at you for long." He shook his head. "I was merely frustrated with all that occurred today- but my anger wasn't directed at you, dear one. You mustn't worry."

I sighed, relieved. "Thank you, brother. For I was very much afraid that I had done something unforgiveable in your eyes."

"Never," he smiled, but in his eyes there was pain.

There was music in the air, a slow, saddening melody that echoed throughout the Caras Galadhon. It was coming from up in the treetops and amongst the airy pavilions. "A lament for Gandalf," Legolas whispered, seemingly reading my mind. He had changed into a fresh pair of clothes and a blue tunic; his hair still damp from the bath houses. His voice was sad and quiet; far quieter than it normally was.

"What do they say about him?" asked Merry curiously.

"I have not the heart to tell you..." his voice drifted off, and his eyes turned downward. "For me, the grief is still too near."

"I bet they don't mention his fireworks," Sam muttered, laying out a blanket. "There ought to be a verse about them." He seemed thoughtful before jumping to his feet and reciting: "The finest rockets ever seen; they burst in stars of blue and green! A rap of thunder; silver showers-," Gimli snored and Aragorn proceeded to elbow him hard in the stomach. "Like a rain of flowers... Ah, that's no good," he muttered frustrated as he plopped back down on his blankets.

"That's beautiful, Sam," I smiled reassuringly. "I've never seen fireworks, but the way you describe them-," my eyes twinkled from blue to green. "I can almost see them for myself!"