Hello Big Apple

Hello Big Apple! Well, I just landed, got my baggages from the carousel. Oh I forgot to mention, dad decided to come with me so that I wouldn't be lost the first day. Dad knew few clients here. He's been here a couple of times and he said he will have many more visits too, so I didn't have to worry much because I'll have someone familiar here now and then.

Well back there at my homeland, Mum, Louis and my friends came to the airport. To my surprise, there was someone else standing behind my friends. I knew who it was, he was too familiar for me not to notice. Brian. Uhmm, Brian who? I don't really know how to answer that because I don't really know what was going on between us.

He was my family friend (that is, my mum's client's son) and I had known him for quite sometime. We used to get along quite well. There were few times when our families would meet up for dinners and I would be seated beside him. And then I started feeling this "thing" for him. I could see he felt something too, the way he looked at me, the way he would react when I said anything. He was the only one I felt something for. But then I realised that it was just infatuation and I was acting mature, it wasn't love, it was mere attraction, they say it happens to teenagers, they become blindfolded apparently. Eventually, I got over him. I saw him just as another friend of mine. But one day, he came to my house while I was on holiday. I was in my garden when he walked towards me and I looked up at him but I had to squint my eyes due to the sunlight.

"You deserve better Lucy."

I was confused because I had no idea what did he mean by that.

"Uhmm, Brian, I am sorry but I believe I don't get you."

"I mean you deserve someone better than me, because you know, I know you like me and well, I don't really think I can reciprocate it back because...."

I cut him before he could continue.

"Woah woah woah. Hold up!"

But he didn't stop, he went on and on.

"YO! I SAID STOPPPP!!!" I screamed. I had no choice, he wasn't listening to me.

He stood there frozen. Startled, he tried saying something but he couldn't find the right words.

"Dude, Brian, Calm it! I did have a thing for you but it was mere attraction okay. And that was quite some time ago. I got over you. What makes you think I am so desperate about you?"

"I don't know, I mean, girls are usually attracted to me, so I thought you were too. I mean, they usually, uhmm.... Found it hard to get over me."

I was supposed to be angry, but instead, everything seemed so funny. I laughed really loud, not even affected by his presence. And then when I held back my laughter, I saw him sending death glares at me. Oh shit! I am busted!

"You piece of shit! Do I look like a laughingstock. You are messing with the wrong person."

"Uhmm, I think I am supposed to be scared after this, but I swear I am not. And besides darling, no one else saw this so you aren't exactly a laughingstock."

He was going to say something when I cut in.

"You have ego a twenty times bigger than your head. Better trim it down or else you are going to shrink really soon."

I don't know where I got the courage to say all that but well, I felt relieved since I told that.
He just glared at me one last time and walked away, slamming the backyard's door.
Ever since then we haven't spoken.

So I was surprised to see him in the airport. I didn't know if I had to apologise or not. I just walked to him. The girls didn't notice him behind them and they were so shocked to see him there.

"Hey Lucy."

"Hey Brian."

I made myself sound as humble as possible since the last time I spoke to him, I sounded like a total b*tch.

"So Big Apple huh?"

"Yeah! It's not like I want to go or anything."

"It's ok, it will all be fine."

A sharp pang of guilt knocked me on the inside. It was very rude of me to have said all that the other day.

"Uhmm Brian, I am sorry."

"No Lucy, I am sorry, I shouldn't have acted like a....like a jerk the other day. I didn't know how to handle the situation. I....I acually... like you... but I felt I wasn't enough for you... Like... Ugghh I just felt you deserved better."

Seriously? You had to say all this now bro?

"Brian, it's okay. Just calm down. And well, we'll just be friends. It's better than pretending we don't exist."

Looks like I did get over him, and probably saved myself from another immature act. I smiled at him.

"Lucy hurry up! I miss you already bunnyface!"

Louis knew exactly how to embarrass me in public.

"Thanks for coming Brian. It really means alot. So, I guess I'll see you when I come back."

"I'll miss you Lucy. Take good care of yourself and keep in touch."

We hugged and then I waved goodbye to him and he left.

So the rest of the time I was with Louis,mum and my incredible squad!

I cried! I cried so much that I had heavy bags under my eyes. But the sleep I had during the flight fixed it. We flew in the business class so it was pretty comfortable.

I can't believe I said goodbye to Asia,and once I was outside the airport, I again murmured, "Hello Big Apple"!