Chapter 2

I bounced with excitement as Brambleclaw continued to lead the way to the ThunderClan camp. As I took a glance at the four cats I was following, I continued to be amazed at how welcoming and kind that these cats had been thus far.

I thought that I would have been dead by now. These cats are nothing like I thought they would be, I thought, they're all so nice!

I suppose I had never thought that the wild cats were going to be murdering savages, but I certainly didn't think that they would be anything like me. The thought of these cats lying around in a "Twoleg's" den still made me want to purr with amusement. But I still feel like we connected, and that we were almost equals in a way.

But I'm not sure that the rest of the cats in this... ThunderClan will see it that way, I realized as we seemed to be getting closer and closer to their camp. My tail twitched nervously as I suddenly began to smell many unfamiliar cat scents. Squirrelflight's squeal startled me as I had begun to sniff the air.

"Here we are!" she exclaimed, beckoning me to pad up to walk beside her. I stood beside her to see that our patrol was standing in front of a small gorse tunnel. 

As I squeezed through the tunnel next to Squirrelflight, I saw that many cats were already staring at this newcomer who probably smelled like kittypet and furniture polish.

No, I'm not intimidated at all, thank you very much, I thought sarcastically to myself. Seeing their gazes practically burning into my fur, I almost wanted to run back through the gorse tunnel and back to my housefolk. It wasn't ideal, but it felt safer than what I was currently facing. I sunk my claws into the ground to keep myself from doing so.

"Brambleclaw?"

I peered over our group to see a tom cat with a shining, flame-colored pelt trotting over to us. "Who is this?" He asked, his suspicious narrow green eyes making my stomach twist.

Before Brambleclaw could speak, Squirrelflight padded up to the tom, her tail lashing excitedly. "This is Lily," she answered the tom. "She's a kittypet from that greenleaf Twoleg nest just beside our border. Great StarClan, does she have strength! She managed to throw me off of her back as quickly as the strongest cat could."

I tried not to purr in amusement at Squirrelflight's enthusiasm. I had realized that I found her very refreshing. I certainly had never known any cat like her before. But who was I kidding? None of these cats were like any I had ever met before, for many reasons.

After Squirrelflight had spoken, the tom had simply blinked, but he had a gleam of humor in his eyes. "I see. What is she doing here?" He asked the smaller ginger she-cat.

From the corner of my eye I could see Spiderleg rolling his eyes. He then grunted, "She wants to observe our Clan. How ridiculous is that?"

I could tell I was going to really like him.

Squirrelflight stepped in with her own words again. "I think you should let her join the Clan!" she exclaimed. "I truly think that she has what it takes."

This time, hearing the word join didn't give me a nervous pang in my stomach, I realized. I delved deep into my thoughts as I watched the bright ginger tom think about Squirrelflight's words. Joining in with wild cats, I reflected. Is this what I want? I'd never get to see my housefolk again, most likely. I took an exasperated deep breath. I'd never see my old friends or get to frolic out in the neighborhood back home ever again.

I narrowed my eyes. But... why do that, when here, you can catch your own food, live among many, many companions, and frolic out in the forest in the wild?