Chapter 13

The air is getting cooler and sounds of people growling and wheezing are coming from behind the concrete walls chipping with paint. We are in a dimly lit hall in the basement. The lights are old and flickering. Jo seems even more nervous now. His thoughts are frantic with questions on what could happen next, and if Reuben will appear. When he thinks of Reuben, not only does he imagine the man with a blinding light as his face, I can also see glimpses of what he's been through while trying to save you.

The short moments are spastic with worry, fright and urgency as I see him running from hordes of snakes slithering after him until he bolts into the stairwell and slams the door shut. He looks out the window and finds nothing out there. It relieves him, but also severely annoys him. He turns back around and finds the stairwell is completely clean and quiet - it's so quiet, he can hear his own heartbeat pounding in his head. He sees the floor number on the wall in front of him - it's the forth floor. "One more level. I can't be stopped this time." He thinks to himself, and remembers seeing you floating in a white box on a wall with a clear top shut over you. You were unconscious. He saw little beads of blood trailing up your arms, down your legs, and out of your torso, and your hair was slowly being sucked out of your head. The sight tightens my chest; hateful, homicidal rage is bubbling deep inside me. Lies, lies, LIES! ALL THAT I SAW OF YOU WERE LIES! He's completely absorbing you. Soon, there'll be nothing left!

"I can feel you inside my head." Jo distracts me with his quiet, shaky voice. "And I don't like you behind me." he says. I stare menacingly at his back.

I peer deeper into his mind and see him leave the stairwell and hurry to a steel door. He tries over and over to open it, but no matter how hard he twists the handle, it won't budge. It wasn't locked the last time he was here! He knows you're on the other side of it. He was able to find you, but before he could even touch you, his surroundings suddenly changed to a dark alley. He was then standing over his body. His heart wrenched and the breath left him. To see himself like this was a feeling he wouldn't have ever been able to imagine. He looked around and everything appeared to be so real. He knelt next to his body and touched his hand. It was cold, limp and lifeless, and his eyes were fully dilated, staring off into nothingness. Blood stained his clothes where he was shot. His eyes started welling up. Gently, he lifted his shirt and there the bullet hole was. He fell back, the tears traveling down his cheeks. Overwhelming guilt and sorrow tore through him, shattering his heart and breaking his mind. He slowly looked to the sky and, even if he was in spirit form, he could still feel the air he sucked into his lungs and hear the cars in the distance.

"Get out!" he interrupts me again, spinning around and raising a finger, "You stay out of my head, you understand me? It's hard enough trying to make it through this. He might find us if we're not careful!"

I smirk darkly at him. "You're such a pansy."

"What did you just say?"

I walk closer to him. "You're afraid to die. You're so attached to your body, it's pathetic. You thought your whole world had crumpled to dust. How did you find out it wasn't true? Or have you lied to me?"

He looks at me with both infuriation and horror. "I don't need to answer that."

I continue walking closer to him and then stop. "I've already got my answer. She's on the fifth floor. I suggest you grow a pair and stop worrying about yourself for once." I move past him and look out of the corner of my eye at him, "People who put themselves first do wonderfully for a short time before shit hits the fan." I see the stairwell about five doors down. "He won't kill us this fast. No... that's not how this game works. And to answer your question; yes, this is hell. It's everyone's hell."

He watches me walk away and slowly frowns. His eyes lower as he ponders over what I said. "Everyone's hell... Is this really happening? Am I really alive and this is all a dream?-Or is this what death is like...?" His voice is just barely above a whisper. He looks back and sees the lights go out at the end of the hall. Brows knitting with worry, he quickly turns and hurries after me. "You can't leave me! You need me!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hey! I hope you liked this chapter! I'm gonna try to be more active on this book! Lately, I've been working on my music. I've been putting soundtracks to short films.

I recently finished a composition in honor of the late actor "Anton Yelchin". I really liked him, so I did a tribute called "Goodbye Anton". It's very, very touching. Find it on Youtube, Soundcloud and Bandcamp.

P.S. It's funny how Gabriel was talking about thinking too much of oneself when that's pretty much all he does. LOL! Maybe he's just trying to help others be better people... Maybe some good is somewhere deep inside him. 😉