Chapter 22

I pass the elevator with a stone cold look on my face, swallowing a lump in my throat.

I'm not quite feeling like myself...

This place has changed me. I know it has. Before I came here, I was a different person. I was swift to act on nearly everything that came my way. Now - now I'm starting to think of things I haven't thought of in a long time. I'm wondering about what happened to Jo, I'm thinking of how badly traumatized you must be now, I'm remembering small things about my children - little innocent things they used to enjoy doing together. I'm feeling something like what it is to be uncomfortable, or unsettled, in my own skin. Cornered again, but this time it's not about being watched or losing privacy of my own mind - it's as if there is an underlying force shifting my moods, making me into someone else. Is it me, or is it this wing? It's not Reuben. Whatever it is, this 'force' is worming its way into my head and I don't think I can stop it. I hate this... defenselessness. I am not weak. This isn't who I am!

These surfacing ideas and memories are weighing down on me more and more, causing me to stiffen, and I don't realize until just now that my eyes are starting to burn from the different emotions clashing with each other.

I close them with a quick shake of the head and sharp inhale.

"Ohh... no. No you don't."

I will only allow and use these changes to do this right. I will not let it take full control of me; the realm will consume me and I will never accomplish my mission - like Raylen explained.

I form a set of rules as I continue searching for a way to the fifth floor.

I will not jump to conclusions as quickly.

I will observe, then act.

I will not be as impulsive.

Killing is only necessary if the enemy is trying to prevent me from moving forward.

Something dawns on me as I stop halfway down the hall and look up at the ceiling at a vent. These ideas will be a challenge for me. I've been this way for as long as I can remember - since a little before I met Jack. Most of the time, I never could see these sides of me. Why I can see them now, is beyond me.

I have to do... the unexpected.

I crack my neck and flex my muscles, then shoot my hand up in mist form through the vent.
"I will always find a way. You can't stop me, Reuben."

Just a few screws and then pop, I catch the vent cover in my other hand and set it against the wall.

As I look to the ventilation duct again, I allow my body to become mist and fly up inside it.

I move at a steady pace while mentally mapping out how this ventilation system would be built. It shouldn't be any different than how things are in the third dimension - the 'physical' dimension. Anything could happen, but I'd rather choose to believe what makes sense to me. After all, I know for a fact this place is all based on perception. I... will be in control.

"No, sir. I'll explain it to you better. Hopefully... you'll believe me so I don't have to stay here. It's crazy that I'm here and not in a regular hospital. The last thing I remember was walking toward a dumpster behind a burger joint - the name of it escapes me at the moment - but, I was walking to this dumpster to see what I could find to use for shelter... just something I could use, you know? Next thing I know, I feel a cold gush of air blow right past me and all these hands with really long fingers just grabbed me all over, pulled me backwards, and then I was here. I was standing in the lobby. Before you ask, no, I didn't see anything. I just felt it all. I swear, I'm not crazy. I don't belong here."