Chapter 18

Addison

"Welcome back to consciousness. I have good news for you, Addison... I have extracted all that is required from you." That voice, his slow heavy footfalls treading around the room, and the sounds of his hands rubbing together and then firmly gripping a steel table give me a sickening, raw feeling of impending doom. I'm barely able to understand what is going on. Something is keeping me from opening my eyes. I am restrained in a cool space. I don't have the energy to fight back. I feel it's being stolen from me.

"My task is nearly complete."

The footsteps start coming toward me and stop next to me.

Don't come near me. Please don't... Please don't violate me anymore! DON'T FUCKING TOUCH ME ANYMORE!!!

There are a few beep noises and suddenly short stabbing pains in multiple areas of my body, causing me to flinch my eyes with a sharp inhale.

A few moments of silence pass. I can feel my body being drained of blood, and there are strange prickly sensations in my scalp.

I hear him speak again; "You have been a great subject."

My mind scatters with pain and desperation, trying to find the last memory I had before this happened. I can't remember anything past the moment I was snatched back into the realm.

He walks away and then uses something that makes a strange mechanical buzzing noise.

"There is a reason why your kind has not advanced to this level of genetic sequencing yet. Your brains are structured much like clocks; Humans can only advance at a certain pace, and if they attempt to progress too quickly, they will destroy themselves. Humanity's only purpose is to amuse their creators. Provide, provide, provide - an endless game of fetch and show and tell. That, you all have done so well for these past millennia. Well done on their part for creating such a creature."

What are you talking about! This is insane!

He returns to my side. "There is so much more to you that I see. So much more. We are going to make your kind even greater. You will see, when the time comes." I hear him put his hand against something above me. It sounds like glass, or something else like it. Am I- Am I in a box? WHERE AM I?!

"I will allow you some time to heal." He removes his hand and leisurely exits the room. The pain slowly goes away and is replaced by a numb feeling. He must have turned this thing off or something.

How am I going to get out of here? He obviously doesn't want to kill me. There has to be a way!

***

Gabriel

The forth floor is cold - almost as cold as a morgue. It smells like this place has been closed up for a long time. Everything looks vintage, as if we'd stepped back into the 1940's. There are flowery pictures and patient photos on the walls. A lot of these photos are celebratory, having to do with the end of WWII. Veterans were visiting patients.

I remember the day the soldiers came home. At the time, I was living in New Orleans, not far from the famous City Park Avenue where the Mardi Gras takes place. I'd just returned home from seeing a movie and decided to turn the radio on to hear the news. 

I lit my cigar as I paced the room and glanced over at the 17 year old girl I brought home. She didn't know what I had in mind for her.

"So it's just you and your mom, eh?"