Chapter 27

"I knew you could do it." I hear Jack's voice in the darkness followed by footsteps clanking on a wooden floor.

"I've always had faith in you -- ever since day one. I just knew you would be the one to change it all. Well done, Gabriel... well done, my son."

I drag my eyes open, realizing the pain had gone away and been replaced by a little soreness. Looking around the room, I find I'm still in your apartment and you're nowhere to be seen. I heard Jack, but he's not here either. I must have been dreaming.

It puzzles me how I didn't go to his basement since that's what I saw, but it never made sense... because that place is long gone now. I guess that was all on the realm.

I hold my side while getting up off the floor and start searching for you. "Addison?" I move slowly from one room the other. Everything looks untouched. As if time froze. Now seeing this, I think I half expected it. Things move a lot faster in the afterlife, apparently.

I find you in your bathtub with your head slumped over, one arm dangling over the side and the other rested on your legs. You're wearing something different now. Not the gown. A red t-shirt and jean shorts. Right off, I assume you've tried to overdose on something. I do a quick once-over of the room to see if there is any evidence of you getting into anything. There's nothing. I go and get on my knees next to you and find your eyes are wide open and staring off into nothingness. I don't see or smell any blood. You're just sitting there like your soul left you.

Suspicious, I enter your mind to see what's going on.

I see moments of fading in and out of consciousness, the sound of Reuben's voice mumbling different things about performing specific procedures and how they would affect the experiment. He says you wouldn't remember half of this and that will benefit both you and the child as it grows. You were going to be placed in another area of the realm until she would mature enough to interact with the third dimension in a more civilized way. You were supposed to mother her, just like with the last project. This one would have been successful.

There are stinging, hot, piercing sensations all over, internally and externally, and other noises are coming in; suffering souls begging for attention and mercy. Every one of them was terrified out of their minds. First, they were confused, but they always went through a process. Jo would come but he was always pushed out. You were amazed he was still alive and worried beyond belief for him. Then, he disappeared for good, and after a while, all you heard was endless buzzing and vibration that seemed to eat away your sanity as time went on. Maybe you were moved, or maybe it all blurred together and became one sound.

Sometimes you could feel strange warm liquid like puss draining from different spots where he made incisions. You often felt feverish and vomited too, but you were so out of it that you could never say a word. You could only endure it in a sort of vegetative state.

Right at this moment, as all these things go through your head, you don't know if anything is real or not. You woke up while laying against my chest and it scared you out of your skin. You tripped over yourself, hit your bedroom doorway and ran into the bathroom. As soon as you saw yourself in the mirror, you noticed large spots of dried blood and brownish yellow stains all over your gown from the hospital. You started to shake with fear and anger and couldn't remove it fast enough. Shredding it apart, you began to hyperventilate and then smashed into the walls, banging on them and shouting at the top of your lungs. 

Just moments after, someone came to your door and called out to you in concern. It was a lady.

You backed away from the wall with your hands in your hair, tightly squeezing it and almost ripping it out.