Chapter 20

Chapter 20: The Breaking Point

         Daniela’s innocent body slams to the floor with a thud. The room is stone cold silent. Ammut stops moving and approaches Daniela. She isn’t moving. But I could care less if she’s alive or not. I want Ammut to begin the Endless Storm. It’s near, it’s brewing. I am not afraid. Ammut is coming.

         “Child, you have blessed me with the gift of your soul.” Ammut thunders. “Now, the Endless Storm begins!”

         I scream and clap. The now knelling crowd also does so. My eyes keep flashing that it’s hard to see. The extra red light in the room turns the air more chaotic. Ammut loves that.

         She dances again and as a result becomes even larger, but by the smallest of amounts. Her cloud that trails her begins to fade away. The cloud’s eerie dark blue glow loses its shininess and retracts into the pool where it came from. I can’t feel hardly anything anymore. The souls must be fueling Ammut’s storm. And I can hear it, too.

         The lightning outside strikes right beside the building above and makes the ground shake. The crowd is going wild and screaming spells. I cannot resist looking away from Ammut for one second. Nothing could distract me. Not even Luke’s body or Hailey’s text.

         NOTHING SHALL RUIN THIS MOMENT.

         Daniela’s body still lies unresponsive. She lay there with her hair spread on the ground and in a strange position. I begin to wonder if she is dead. I think anyone wouldn’t care. She’s trouble anyway. And scum. And scum need to be dealt with.

         The cloud has now almost completely faded. I wonder if that was how she is kept in the Underworld. I forget the thought and move onto another - Ammut’s long legs finally are visible. They are a shinny ivory color. They are thin and flawless. She doesn’t wear any shoes but has a marking on her left ankle. I can’t tell what it is, but I know for sure the tattoo grows brighter and brighter.

         It shines gold and I start to feel something is wrong. A portal that appeared when the cloud started to go away has now gotten considerably larger. Its glow has changed from dark blue to an orange color. It bulges, like something is trying to come through.

         The wood over the pool starts to creak. And the bricks shutter. I wonder why – bricks have mortar. They can’t shake.

         Just then a huge explosion rocks the whole place, throwing everyone backwards into the air. I am lifted but thrown a short distance compared to some people closest to Ammut. I land on the bricks hard and on my back. My head slams into the cold floor and feel pain overwhelm my body. My body aches – I can still feel physical pain. It surprises me that I can still feel. The Endless Storm was supposed to take that away from me.

Something had shot out of the portal where the cloud was retreating.

         My thoughts are interrupted with a booming voice near where Ammut was –

         “Ammut the Devourer, you, by authority of the great ruler Osiris, shall have to come with us.”

         I am shocked. I don’t recognize the voice, but whoever it is can only be here for one reason – take Ammut. I can’t believe it – a hero! Taking my queen! I try to sit up but I ache. From my spine to my core, I am unable to stand. At the least inconvenient time. I want to scream but that would ravage my vocal cords. I can do nothing for now to aid Ammut. She is defenseless.

         I am defenseless.